What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very small pest problem!

I've been watching these tiny bugs for over a month now, they're all over both of my big plant pot setups. They're so tiny that you have to blow on the soil to see them move. I put some small pieces of mosquito dunk's in the water trays about 6 days ago, no change yet. They're not gnats or they would've been flying by now. This is my best attempt at a picture, there's a few of them on this dead leaf. They're seriously tiny, I just want to fix the problem before they do any damage.

Do they jump if you try to touch them?

Nope, just get mooshed into the soil. Also seem too small for any of my plants to eat.

Hmm, so they aren't springtails. Perhaps a sort of predatory mite? Hard to tell from the pictures. Then again, ants can move relatively quickly. Do they actually seem to be doing harm?

They've been here for over a month, no plants have died, yet. Is there some sort of safe insecticide I can spray?

Well, if they aren't doing any harm, I wouldn't recommend using an insecticide at all. There are safe ones for CPs, but chemicals should be a last resort. If they have been there for over a month and no plants have had damage as a result, I would view them as a non threat and just live with their existence. Perhaps plant a few butterworts and let them feast.

Good news is they don't appear to be mealy bugs, thrips, scale, or aphids, which tend to be the worst pests, and if they were mites or anything else serious, you would have seen significant damage by now. Carnivorous plants attract bugs, many of which are harmless.

In that picture, they appear to be feasting on the decomposing parts of the plant. It could be they are simple harmless decomposers, and not bugs that are preying upon your plants.

Last edited:
I don't think the insects/mites are doing any damage, but it looks like there may be some fungus/mold growing on that leaf. I would worry about that more, as it may indicate that something isn't right as far as conditions go. How much light and/or humidity does it receive?

Back