What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hummingbird Moth polinating Cacti flower

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I thought I'd share that I noticed a couple days ago a bloom forming on a cacti... Today I noticed it was really bit and a bit ago I noticed it was open. I ran out to take some pictures, and while doing so a spinx hummingbird month showed up flying circles around us... And eventually found it's way to the flower. I got a few pictures, and a video of him in there but the camera had the flash off.... So the pictures sucked. Pretty neat that once he got mounted he beat his wings. Maybe to release the pollen like Heliamphora do... Anyway enjoy the photos and video- even though they are from my phone. :X Anyone know the name of this cactus?
Andrew

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLaMSycJp0&list=UUblwZfUr3WeoDJ1sS2hpM7w

20141016_200843.jpg

20141016_202211.jpg

20141016_201925.jpg

20141016_201902.jpg

Cool!

I believe your plant is a crested / mutant form of night blooming Cereus, possibly "Cereus peruvianus monstrose".

That does look like it, thanks! I forgot the plant I used to have was actually something else and I assumed (still) it was a night blooming cereus... (although the pictures are gone from the thread :-\) http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/105215-was-waisting-time-today Funny that I would buy a house that has the real thing growing in the front year after purposefully growing an incorrect plant in my greenhouse for years. :p

Monstrose apple cactus?

Cereus peruvianus 'monstrose'

Last edited:
The standard night blooming Cereus peruvianus has straight ridges running vertically even some varieties the ridges curl around diagonally but that's not the form that appears in your pics with all the bubbles and "tumors"... I always think they look tumorous LOL. Over time the Cereus can get quite large, especially if you could plant them in ground.

I think there is actually a good number of cacti & succulents who are night bloomers (plenty of orchids are). I even remember an episode of Dennis The Menace turning on a light at night and killing Mr. Wilsons "night blooming cactus" flower. :D

Back