What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Bisquamata

Hey, I've got a small pot of U. Bisquamata that has just been sitting around for the past month with no real progress. There hasn't been much apparent growth on the surface. It did well initially when i first got it and continued to grow for another month or two before coming to a standstill. It stands on a windowsill that gets 5-6 hours of direct light a day. Our temperatures have been in 80- low 90's during the day and down to the 70's at night. I water mine on the tray system and our tap is pretty low in solids, below 100. Do you guys have any tips for kickstarting struggling U. bisquamata? Any ideas on how to get good growth out of it again?

How much water is in the tray and how tall is the pot?

Which U. bisquamata is it?

I have found U. bisquamata to strongly dislike waterlogged conditions, but that pot should be tall enough to avoid that problem. What soil mix is in the pot?

I haven't looked around too much below the surface but I'm pretty sure that it is a peat, sand, and perlite mix.

Did it flower? If so did you remove the spent flower stems?

The standard U. bisquamata will flower and set seed which keeps it occupied for a while. The leaves are very small and can range much further than is apparent without a very close inspection. This is the Atilla of the Utricularia world, no pot is unreachable and all territory must be conquered.

The cultivar 'Betty's Bay', apart from having a much larger flower does not set seed and just continues flowering until winter sets in.

Last edited:
It did flower, roughly 2-3 months ago. I left all the old flower stalks on, they're still in the pot. They're all browned now. That makes more sense to me. How long would it take from release of the seed to see noticeable growth in that pot and surrounding ones?

Oh it's not just the surrounding pots, they can be 6ft or more away. That growth you'll see next year unless you walk about with a magnifying glass.

Cool, hopefully I'll have something to report back with in this thread in a year or two. Thanks for the help.

Back