What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft in gecko tank

i have a leopard gecko in a 10 gallon tank/terrarium/wtv.. there is a water dish, which is about 3/4 inches deep. can i plant one of my vfts in there? since plant terraiums dont have drainage holes, im thinking that it would be ok to plant it in there. i have a flourescent light (18") on for about 12 or more hours a day and a heat lamp. the temp is about 82 degrees on the cool side, and around 93 on the hot side. the gecko doesnt eat plants so thats not a problem. and i feed the gecko live crickets so the fly trap could occasionally catch a cricket. the tank is kinda bare right now with only a water dish and a half log shelter/hide. and i wanted some live plants in there, and i thought a vft could fit in. did i give you enough information? i can add some stuff in there to accomodate the plant, but nothing too big. thanks in advance

by the way, the substrate is sand, so the water dish is the only place i could put it.

Being that leopards are desert geckos I would say no as the humidity will be too low. You would also have to deal with dormancy issues. Also large crickets, like the ones leopards eat, might try to eat your VFT and unless it is a monster VFT it would probably not be able to eat them.

If you want a good desert terrarium plant drop me a message with your address and I can probably hook you up with some Devel's backbone. It grows fast and is a succulent so is perfect for desert conditions. You can also plant it straight into the sand
wink.gif

Pyro

My leo has a 20 gal. with a cactus (unknown specie/ cricket food
tounge.gif
) and a aloe vera (looks) The aloe is planted in a small container behind a grapevine piece... She has a burrow under her water bowl.. sorry, sorta off the topic...
confused.gif

This is kinda off topic as well but, as long as we're talking about leo geckos, I have one large male leo in a 20 gallon long cage also. His name is Autumn(I got him on the first day of fall). He eats 6 adult crickets every other night(he won't eat unless it is at night). No live plants. Just a very long plastic aquarium plant that lies across part of the bottom of the cage and a little rock with a little fake plant sticking out of the top of it. He sleeps in his turtle shell shaped ceramic cave I got from Petsmart. He also has a 1 inch deep Petri water dish, and a rock sculpture thingie. He has a heat pad under the warm end of his cage. He is not full-grown quite yet; he is only about 8 1/2 inches long. He is in such good health that he should get about a foot long, more or less.

I just thought I'd put a couple words in about my lil' bud
biggrin.gif

mine is an albino named "Alby" she is ssssooooo cute! She turned 1 June 3, 2002
smile.gif
I also forgot to mention that she has black calci-sand, and she shows up really well!
smile.gif
I love her, and BTW, she eats about 10 medium crickets a night She'll eat in the bright of day, but she likes it to be night
tounge.gif
confused.gif

Back