What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to canivorous plants, looking for help...

I am interested in growing Venus Flytraps in my home, but I have never done so before and am quite nervious about making key decisions.  First of all, there are so many different species and genetically altered venus flytraps on the market, it is nearly impossible to choose the right one.  I have been doing a lot of research on the flytraps so I am aware of how difficult it may be to accomidate these fickle creature's needs and keep them healthy, but mainly alive.

Anyways, my main question is which breed of venus flytrap should I purchase (ie: Venus Flytrap Assortment Pack, or should I go with the Terrarium Kit A1 provided by PFT?)  I will be keeping these plants in my house, probably in my room which is usually much warmer than the rest of the house due to my computer being on all the time.  I am divided between the two examples above.  I was thinking of experimenting with the VFT's and seeing if they will do better within a terrarium or out in the open in a tin of water.  My window only gets sun in the afternoon, and I have new shades on the window that blocks out 90% of the sun's rays.  Will this be enough light for the VTF's or will I have to use artificial light?  I would really appriceate it if you guys could help me out in deciding what to do.  I really appriceate it!

Hey Darkest,

First, welcome to the forums! OK, you're getting a vft. I wouldn't worry too much about the variety you purchase. They all are just varients anyway, and they all have pretty much the same care requirements. You will find that all the info in the world for these plants can be found in these forums, which are provided by PFT, so considering their plants are great, you should buy from them. The Terrarium Kit is a great start.

Depending on where you live, the best place for vfts is outdoors. They can work in a window, but come winter, you'll have to account for their dormancy requirements (they need cold weather in the winter.) This can be as simple as moving the plants into a basement, or even into the fridge! They also need a lot of light, so if they can't get direct sun from the window (not through the new shades), then you'll need artiificial light. Afternnoon sun is fine as long as it gets at least a few hours plus a good amount of ambient light. Again, the best place for them is outdoors. The only other thing is to make sure you use distilled water, or reverse osmosis filtered water, or rain water. Only use tap water if you know it's low in dissolved minerals.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Capslock

Thank you for the welcome Capslock. Anyways, I live in California, near Sacramento. We get hot summers (tripple digits sometimes) and sometimes freezes in the winter. my family does have a landscape outside in our backyard, but I am afraid for the VFT due to all the cats that wander through our backyard day and night... My house does not have a basement, so hopefully my dad won't get upset for taking up a lot of the room in the fridge
tounge.gif
. Also, with the shade, light is still able to get through, but it is not as protruding into my room as before and my room is cooler than before. So are you saying that will not be enough?

It doesn't sound like it will be enough. VFTs like a lot of light.

Actually, Sacramento probably isn't bad at all for outdoor VFTs. I live in San Francisco, which admittedly is a radically different climate despite being 90 minutes away. If you can get a partly sunny spot outside, I still think that would be best, but make sure you keep it in a tray of water.

Otherwise, I'd look at getting some artificial light if you have to keep 'em indoors. Look for the new fluorescents that work in place of regular incandescnet bulbs, as they don't put out nearly as much heat as incandescents. You don't need anything fancy.

Capslock

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Capslock @ June 27 2003,4:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It doesn't sound like it will be enough. VFTs like a lot of light.

Actually, Sacramento probably isn't bad at all for outdoor VFTs. I live in San Francisco, which admittedly is a radically different climate despite being 90 minutes away. If you can get a partly sunny spot outside, I still think that would be best, but make sure you keep it in a tray of water.

Otherwise, I'd look at getting some artificial light if you have to keep 'em indoors. Look for the new fluorescents that work in place of regular incandescnet bulbs, as they don't put out nearly as much heat as incandescents. You don't need anything fancy.

Capslock[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sacramento is about 7 hours from san fransisco
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Sacramento is very dry, But they can grow outside. Just ask goldtrap2690. He knows everything on growing CPs there, since he lives there
biggrin.gif

edit: never mind, mixed it up with another city...
rolleyes.gif
(san deigo lol)

The best plant for you will be a typical because it's cheaper. If you make a mistake and it dies it's better to lose a $4 or $5 plant than a $10 or $15 plant.

I don't think that you will have enough light in your room. You either have to provide more light or better yet put it outside. I'd risk the cats. Just don't put it out in the open where the cats will find it easy. The climate there sounds just like the Carolinas, perfect for vft's.

spec , i live in san fernando not sacramento . from what you say darkest hour , it sounds like you wil be able to grow vfts outdoors , i believe there is a care sheet on this website " plant care " , it should help yuh a bit otherwise i will post my care sheet up soon . and also , yah , like ozzy said , try a typical .

I still am debating if I should let the plant be inside or outside... I was wondering, if I were to use some sort of fluorescent plant light, what types do you guys recommend?

Flourescent lights are often expensive if this is your first try I recommend keeping them outside or you could try a coil bulb or whatever those bulbs are called the 15 watt ones usually marketed as "energy saving" they're rather bright and you can set in a desk lamp or dome and set it close to the plant within 6" it works wel but color....is lacking so put it outside cheaper effective and you don't have to water it when it rains.
biggrin.gif

Darkesthour,
I live in San Jose, which has very similar weather to Sac. I keep mine outside in the garden but move them into the shade on the hotter days. I've found that the Common Green variety is somewhat less tolerant of higher temps than the Green Dragon. The tips of new sprouts tend to get burnt and stunts the leaves before they get a chance to mature. Keep them in water trays about 1/2" deep with distilled water and the best part is there are enough bugs in the garden to keep your plant well fed naturally. You can probably winter them outside as well. I had good success this year just setting my plants on a table under an awning. Good Luck
smile.gif

Back