What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to sundews too...:)

From what I've read so far, it sounds like these plants won't grow very big. Will they stay pretty tiny? Once I get them, will a 2x2 inch pot be too small? Or will they outgrow that size fairly quickly and end up having root issues?
Also, from what I've read, it ought to be ok for them to be in my terrarium with my VFT's, and they don't need a dormancy period?

Thanks in advnace for any help!
wink.gif

Capensis has a large root system when mature and suggest a deeper pot, 4 inches or so. There is no dormancy for this species. For capillaris, you can probably get by with less, I guess it depends on how much space you have to spare. The larger size is optimal however.

Capillaris often experiences a short dormancy, when it slows in growth for awhile, esp. after setting seeds. This species can literally floweritself to death, so once you have some backup seed, it is a good idea to nip the scapes as they form. This will lessen the chance of dormancy.

You can grow them with the VFT, but be aware that Dionaea is a temperate species, and requires a cold dormancy so it will need to come out of the terrarium around October and go into cold storage to meet it's needs. I believe that both capensis and capillaris may be overwintered at temps just above freezing, but if you don't have spare plants you might want to stay on the safe side and keep them warmer.

Thanks for all the help! I'll have a better idea now how to handle them! Too bad about the planter though, I found these ADORABLE 2x2 inch ceramic planters and I was hoping to find something to use them for!
wink.gif

Well, you could go for the bonsai capensis effect! The plant is a tough plant and really will adapt to whatever you give it: a smaller container will just mean a smaller plant.

I grew a capensis in a 2" pot for a while, but when I went to transplant it had a tangled ball of roots coming out the bottom. The plant did fine, but I had to cut the roots to transplant it. If you like to propagate using root cuttings you can get roots whenever you want without transplanting, but you may have to trim the roots every couple of months, or it might even get its roots into other pots (mine was just starting to when I transplanted).

It seems I may be getting some D. Capensis and D. Capillaris seeds, and I need some starter tips! I can use those tiny planters after all, for starting them out anyway! But I would try to transplant them early before the roots got tangled, cause if I tried to cut roots I'd probably kill the plants (I'm no green thumb)!
wink.gif

The terrarium is all set up, so I have the growing environment set, just want to be sure I handle the seeds properly. How do I get started?
confused.gif

Back