What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew has disappeared

My D. Binata is just about to flower, but over the last week the dew has almost disappeared off the plant. Is this condition related? It's growing on a sunny windowsill and was fine a couple of weeks ago.

i am guessing that the humidity is not high enough.

When my rotundifolia was flowering it produced dew, but once it was gone, it was gone (ie. after digestion). Wind, humidity levels, and like aformentioned, flowering affect dew production...

Binata is also sensitive to sudden temperature drops which can initiate a "snap" dormancy. Are new leaves being produced? If not the plant may be experiencing such. It will grow again, and the new leaves will be dewy.

I have rescued a Drosera Aliciae from a garden centre as it's co-plants were already dead, and it was clinging onto life.

It was very dry when I got it and had no dew on the leaves at all.

I have repotted it (as there turned out to be 4 plants in the one 3" pot) and it is looking much healthier. It still hasn't got any dew on the leaves though. I have had it for about 5 days. Does this type of drosera not have much dew or do you think it is still recovering?

I have good humidity in the terrarium for my VFTs and drosera capensis (about 75%), is this enough for this type of drosera?

I also have have a small fan for air currents and 2 artifical lights in the setup.

Any replies welcome!

Hi Oli,

Aliciae is a very dewy species, but is probably recovering from various shocks to its homeostasis. I have found for badly shocked plants, placing the whole pot and plant in a ziplock bag "hospital" in good light (but no direct sun) will often speed the recovery process. Aliciae is an easy grower that can stand a lot of abuse, so you should have no problem getting it back to it's very beautiful form.

Back