What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have my cape sundew in an aquarium with D. spatulata, and D. adelae. There are four capensis growing in the same pot for two years and have never flowered. D. spatulata flowers all the time. The plants are large, red tenticals, with lots of dew. Why won't they flower?
Jack

I think maybe there is not enough light for your capensis.
Are you using artificial lights?
Mine are in full sun, outdoors and produce flowers.
They need as much sunlight as possible and fresh air at night.

Mine is inside but gets 6 hours of full morning/afternoon sun. It's flowering for the first time (only had it for a few months, sorry I can't help you more&#33
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Nah it could not be a lighting problem from your description jack. I really don't see why their not flowering, but trust me you don't want any seeds.

sup peeps, ah good ole capey. Seems like your plant is jsut kinda slow. All capes will usually flower when mature during the spring time or summer. Keep a watchful eye for stalks

Mine is also dewy and red, and yet it seems sluggish and a little pale.  All the other sundews are doing well.

Might it be the humidity?  Perhaps your plant needs some variation, or a top level below 80%. Mine is definitely under high humidity.

My other suggestion is that perhaps it is under fertilizer stress. Mine has been (due to worms). Are you fertilizing it?

STeve

Hmm.thats odd, all me capes are in room humidty/ on windowsill. I only keep the seedlings under a cover so i dont need to water it alot. Maybe too much humidty is making the leaves "soft".

Back