What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. broomensis, D. closterostigma, D. kaieteurensis

Does anyone have any info on these: D. broomensis, D. closterostigma, D. kaieteurensis, D. X thelocalyxiana?

What kind of information are you needing regarding these species? Here is a start, but I strongly encourage you to explore on your own, you will learn more than I offer here.

D. broomensis is a member of the petiolaris complex native to Northern Australia. Cultivation is typical for the Petiolaris complex (think HOT)

D. closterostigma is a member of the Pygmy Drosera species. This is a relatively easy grower under typical pygmy care, but with attention to a dry summer dormancy.

D. kaieteurensis is a South American species, seldom seen in cultivation. It requires tropical culture and high humidity, and is suited for terrarium culture.

D. x thelocalyxiana is the illegitimate name for the fertile hybrid cross of D. burmannii x D. sessilifolia. D. burmannii is a Australioasian species while D. sessilifolia is its South American counterpart. Both are tropical species, and tend to be relatively short lived in cultivation, which I assume is true of the hybrid offspring.

A good websearch with provide you with additional information using the Latin binomial (correctly spelled) along with the additional search parameters: habitat, cultivation, photos....

Photo's may be seen via Bob Z's website at:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Information regarding the type collection and other information on legitimately published species may be found in the CP Database: http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

There is much to be said about each species. If you can be more specific, I can offer more details.

Tamlin,

Actually, that was the exact info I was looking for at the moment. Hehe, i'm in the middle of going through a list trying to figure out what my next batch is gonna be.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info, it was a big help.

Back