What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie drosera spatulata questions

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and, now that I'm about to start raising a few CPs myself, wanted to ask a few questions that I've had.

I'm looking at starting a terrarium.  Originally I just wanted VFTs, but have gained more and more interest in Sundews the more I learn about them.  Anyway, I was thinking about picking up the 3 gal terrarium they have here and planting a Common VFT, a Dante VFT, and a Drosera spatulata.  Does this sound like a good setup or would a 1.5 gallon be large enough for these 3 to grow to full size?

Does anyone happen to have any pics of a young Drosera spatulata, like I could expect to recieve when ordering from here? Just curious what it will look like.

Anyway, my big worry is what I've hear about the Drosera spatulata reproducing.  First, is it like the VFT in that flowering drains its strength and cutting the stem as it starts can stop the process?  I've also heard that it will reproduce by simply sprouting outwards...is that right?  I have an irrational fear of my Sundew reproducing so quick it totally takes over the terrarium and I won't have time to think or do anything.  So, uhm, please tell me that fear really is irrational.
tounge.gif

My last question is about growing them outside.  Once I learn enough about taking care of them, and my terrarium is doing well, I'd be interested in planting a few outdoor ones.  I've heard they can survive pretty bad winters.  I live in South-Western PA, any thoughts on how they would do up here?

Thanks for reading.  Also, thanks for all the great information.  I've learned so much by simply reading through all the other posts on the boards here.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm looking at starting a terrarium.  Originally I just wanted VFTs, but have gained more and more interest in Sundews the more I learn about them.  Anyway, I was thinking about picking up the 3 gal terrarium they have here and planting a Common VFT, a Dante VFT, and a Drosera spatulata.  Does this sound like a good setup or would a 1.5 gallon be large enough for these 3 to grow to full size?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The bigger the better, if you can get the 3 gallon I would advise you to do so
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone happen to have any pics of a young Drosera spatulata, like I could expect to recieve when ordering from here?  Just curious what it will look like.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, I do, I will take the pictures as soon as I am done replying, then I will edit it on to here.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway, my big worry is what I've hear about the Drosera spatulata reproducing.  First, is it like the VFT in that flowering drains its strength and cutting the stem as it starts can stop the process?  I've also heard that it will reproduce by simply sprouting outwards...is that right?  I have an irrational fear of my Sundew reproducing so quick it totally takes over the terrarium and I won't have time to think or do anything.  So, uhm, please tell me that fear really is irrational.
tounge.gif
Ya, that's irrational
tounge.gif

that is false. Flowering does not affect drosera spatulata, at least in my care. I got a 3 inch pot full of them, and around 30 flower scapes! no change in growth.
by sprouting outwards, I think you mean by offshoots, so they do 'sprout' outwards
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My last question is about growing them outside.  Once I learn enough about taking care of them, and my terrarium is doing well, I'd be interested in planting a few outdoor ones.  I've heard they can survive pretty bad winters.  I live in South-Western PA, any thoughts on how they would do up here?
Is PA pensilvania?  If it's in that area they will do great! they are found in states near there in the wild, and the conditions are pretty much the same from state-to-state there
wink.gif
Just make sure that tropical ones come inside for winter.
smile.gif

I hope I could help!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

-spec

Hello Nicholas,

Welcome to the PFT Forums, it is a pleasure to have you here, especially on the Sundew Forum. I am biased towards this genus, I just love them. I guess you could say I am stuck on them.

To answer your questions:

Regarding the size of the terrarium my advice is to go with the maximum size that you can afford that will accomodate a 2 bulb shoplight flourescent fixture. When it comes to CP, once the addiction takes hold you will want all the space you can get! If you dont want to invest right now, either size will probably serve, but not when you start amassing plants, and you will here!

On flowering: Some species of Drosera do suffer a little set back after flowering, but I have never found D. spatulata to be so affected. I don't think you need worry about overcrowding: these plants naturally grow well in clumps, and I have had whole pots of undivided seedlings do fine for a year without transplant, to the point where the babies were nearly smothering the parent plant. They will weed themselves if you dont attend to them. After the first flowering they are likely to become weedy like this, providing you with trading material, backups, and material to experiment with.

They will be fine outside I believe if you are careful to acclimate them to full sun over a period of time. Just like you, they need to "tan" before they can take the full sun. I start with 1/2 hour, and increase the length slowly. An alternative is to use several layers of white garbage bags to screen the sunlight, removing a layer every week. The more color, the longer they can take it. Seedlings acclimate the best if started directly in the outdoors.

Water is a consideration: it must be pure - either distilled or rain is recommended. Water with a PPM under 100 PPM *might* be useable, but always use caution in this until you have backups to experiment with.

The same applies to the mix, it needs to be mineral and salt free. If sand is used, it should be clean washed silica sand. If you didnt wash it yourself, it isn't washed. Occasional top watering with distilled water is good housekeeping for Drosera since this flushes out any possible nutrient accumulations from the pot.

I wish you good growing with your plants! Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Spec, you beat me to the punch! One thing though: D. spatulata is not a native American species, but rather Indo-asian in distribution.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it
smile.gif
. My first thought was actually to get something like a 10 gallon fish tank to convert into a terrarium. Alas, I am still a year away from moving out of my parent's home and I doubt they'll be happy with the 3 gallon.
wink.gif

From what I've seen they look like little bushes when they start to clump like that, so how do you repot them? The 'fishbowl' terrariums here will be somewhat difficult to get my hand into making things difficult, and I can't see doing much good without grabbing the plant itself. Will touching it roughly like that hurt it? Keep in mind you're talking to an absolute gardenning newbie here...besides one or two VFTs I owned in my early teens, I haven't helped with any actual gardenning since I was 5 or 6.
tounge.gif

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Hi Nick,
With regards to getting your hand in there, It shouldn't be a problem with the three gallon bowl....
D. spatulata is one of those drosera that you can hit with a bomb and it will come back (might look a little beddragled, though!
wink.gif
) Yes, you should be careful when repotting....but by the same toke, I dropped one on the deck (hard wood, baked by the sun), and STEPPED ON IT (DOH&#33
wink.gif
, but potted the mangled mess anyway....and it came back
wow.gif

I don't advocate abusing your plants, but if a mistake happens, these are the guys to make it with.

Not to worry, the plant as Schloaty says is very life oriented. When I transplant I just gently grab the plant and pull it out of the medium and plunk it in a new pot. You might want to take a bit more care if it is your one and only, but there is no need to worry about it. It will be ok. We are going to make a Sundew grower out of you my man!

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.
smile.gif

I guess I hadn't really thought it through, but I think I nailed my worries down here so one more question
wink.gif
. As I mentioned, I'm living with my parents right now, and 1 3 gal terrarium will be about my limit until I move out. So what can I do with an extra sundew or two? Are they easy to give away through ads in the paper or are there places that will take them...or could/should I try to sell them? I'd hate to get in trouble for growing a jungle in my room.
tounge.gif

Thanks!

Back