What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Weser' flowering!

Cindy

Staff member
My first ping to flower!
smile.gif

So excited...but how do I pollinate it?

Cindy, I just did it myself for the first time, and it is easy. Stick something like a toothpick or the end of a match in at the top. The pollen is hidden by a flap that looks like a bump on the top of the inside of the flower. When you stick in the peice of wood or whatever, angle it up a little behind the bump and then draw it back. You should see some pollen on the end of the tool.

Then wipe this on the part that sticks out of the middle of the flower.

Below is an excellent sketch of the Pinguicula flower structure found at the CP Database website:

From the CP Database "Slideshow of Pinguicula"
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/pings/pings.htm

flower1.gif

Basically you have the ovary. At the end of the ovary and mostly blocking the opening of the flower is the stigma (this is a flap that is connected at the end of the ovary and it covers the two stamens), filaments with attached anthers are hidden underneath the stigma. The upper surface of the stigma is where pollen is received to accomplish pollination, while the underside of this stigma cover is where the plant keeps its own pollen. This reduces the chance that pollen from this same plant will reach the upper surface of the stigma and self-pollinate the flower.

When pollinating Pinguicula extra caution must be used because the connection of the stigma to the ovary is very tenuous and fragile while the stamens are more substantial and firmly attached to the base of the ovary.

Frequently pollen is released and accumulates under the covering stigma, which can then be collected with a flat toothpick and gently placed on top of the stigma surface to effect pollination.

I myself have found it easier to first photograph the flowers for posterity and then to carefully remove most of the petals to make it easier to access the reproductive parts of the flower without damaging them.

smile.gif
Thanks! I'm currently taking a photo each day...will post them when I get the seeds...

Back