What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pings need growing tips

Can some one recomend a "soil" mixture for these two pings. Also any growing tips will be welcome
smile.gif

I just bought one from peterpauls (crap condition) but anyways mine is on a little sand perlite and spaghum peat moss. Mine is looking okay, but of course i just got him 2 days ago, only time will tell. AND IM GOING TO MAKE HIM TELL NOW! LoL joking

What kind of ping did you get. They do not all like the same growing conditions.

P. gigantea is a subtropical mexican Ping that will grow well in peat:sand:perlite:vermiculite(optional,add a bit more perlite if not using) 1:1:1:1.  Unlike  many mexican species, P. gigantea does not produce a succulent winter rosette, just slightly smaller leaves. It should be grown in good light, but not full sun all day. Mine do well in E and W facing windows in the house. Stand in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of water in the summer, but allow the water tray (not the plant) to dry out between waterings. In winter, keep the compost just damp and not too cold, a minimum temperature of about 10 C.

P. grandiflora is a temperate Ping from Europe and will grow well in peat:sand 2:1. Here in England I grow P. grandiflora outside all year round in a cold frame (a small, well ventilated, unheated greenhouse). They do OK outside without such protection too. It is important that this species experiences a cold winter, when its leaves all die back and it forms a winter resting bud. I see from your profile that you live in Georgia so it should be alright outside. Keep out of the sun at the hottest time of the day and hope your winters are cold enough. Some growers in warmer climates overwinter the resting buds, wrapped in sphagnum, in their refridgerators, but I have never needed to do this. Water by standing in a tray of water, about 1/2 inch deep and keep just damp in winter.

Cheers
Vic

Back