What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ping!

I just got a P. primifulora (spelling?), at least I think it is . Anyway, it is very near dormancy up here in NH (Zone 5) and I do not know how I should prepare for dormancy on a Ping. Any help would be great!

if you got it from petflytrap you prob. don't need to. it is just out of tissue culture. I don't even think prim. needs dormancy.
biggrin.gif

I didn't get it from pft.com. I got it at Lowe's and I am pretty sure it is tissue culture. But what should I do?I can't just leave it outside all winter! Should I put it under some growlights?

I highly recommend cheap 4 foot fluorescent fixtures, plenty of them, lots of light is good.

Might be mistaken but think this plant comes from Florida area and not in need of any dormancy. Also thinking this one likes to be in the shade or filtered light.

Yes, grow this plant in a tropical-like condition. It does not need a dormancy.

I too recently did the honorable thing and am trying to save a P. prim. from certain Lowes induced doom.

I have it on a south facing windowsill, the pot is equipped with ye olde clear plastic cup to hold in humidity, and I water it about every other day with misting in between. I also repotted in a peat/perlite mix.

After a month, it seems to be doing just fine--though a single month may be too early to tell.

I also got mine at Lowe's.
Shuld I change the mixture to a peat/perlite mix?

I would say repot--as I think most pings enjoy well-drained soils--hence the peat/perlite mix. This should be crosschecked with D'Amato however. Plus, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea as this site sells P. moranensis in peat/perl.

biggrin.gif

I would repot it...go for the peat(1/4)/perlite(1/4)/vermiculite(1/4)/sand(1/4) mix.
smile.gif

I don't have any Vermiculate or hort. sand. Just Peat/Perlite.

This plant (P. primuliflora), likes acidic soil conditions, peat/sand or peat/perlite, it also grows well in pure live Sphagnum or Long Fibred Sphagnum. I grow mine in NZ Long Fibred Sphagnum / perlite with a live Sphagnum top (about 1") NO VERMICULITE!
It likes really wet conditions, mine are kept with the water level with the pot surface most of the time, I allow it to dry out to about an inch of water periodically.
It likes partly shady conditions, not full sun.
I don't allow my plants to go below 8C (about 47F) in Winter. They have grown well, producing many young plantlets from their leaves and flowering well in early Spring under these conditions for the last four years. Occasionally, a plant or two will die off quite suddenly (they just rot in days), this is quite natural as they are relatively short-lived plants, compared to most Pings. Hence it is important to keep up propagation from the plantlets (at least you don't have to use seed like the other S.E. USA Pings).

Cheers
Vic

Back