What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few questions on a few species...

I have a few questions on pings at my avail... Theres a Canadian site that sells pings, but I've noticed a few minor mistakes with his nomenclature...

P. agnata (Mor x Ehlr)
~ I gather this is agnata x ( Moranensis x Ehlersae)

P. agnata D
~ Whats the D?

P. agnata fragrant x P Guanajuato
~ I'm lost after the 'fragrant'

P. moranensis ehlersai
~ A hybrid?

P. morensis superba
~ It's veiny, right?

P. primuflora
~ How do you ACTUALLY spell it?! I've seen so many ways...

P. sethos
~ Never heard of it... Is this like the ssp. [pachuca]?

Thanks sooo much!!
biggrin.gif

P. agnata (mor x ehlr) is P. agnata x (moranensis x ehlersiae).
P. agnata 'D' might be a clone from California Carnivores. D'Amato labeled some of his clones of moranensis/agnata etc. with letter codes.
P. agnata fragrant x guanajuato is a hybrid created by Leo Song of Cal. State University Fullerton. In one of the post below this post, someone asked this exact question. There is a more detailed answer there.
P. moranensis ehlersai is probably moranensis x ehlersiae.
The leaves of P. moranensis var. superba are not veiny. I am unsure of the flower.
P. primuliflora = correct spelling
P. sethos = P. 'Sethos' which is a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae. It is a cultivar.

Pinguicula 'Weser' has the same parents as Pinguicula 'Sethos'. Several other Pinguicula cultivars also share the same parents. This is a good illustration of the differences between species, hybrids, and cultivars.

Just because a plant has the same parents does not mean that it is that cultivar.

Link to Sethos data in CP Database

Check out my earlier posting at:

Names?

An analogy might be to compare yourself with your own siblings, if any, or other groups of siblings. Our individual names = cultivar name. Aside from cloning, identical twins though with unique names could be considered the same "cultivar". Their birthdate as being their cultivar name as long as it was unique from all others.

Back