What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awwwwww mannnnnn!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
My nep died!
sad.gif
 It had been very ill-looking for months now, and I have no idea what was ever wrong with it! I got it from Wal-Mart... maybe the soil media wasn't right... ARGH I feel so bad! <span id='ME'><center>FlytrapGurl stomps and whines</center></span>

Never say Die. I have had plants 'die' on me only to return from the roots unexpectantly. Keep it in good conditions for awhile and hope.

Cheers,

Ah you can say die though when your nepenthes have been subjected to 14F overnight. I am STILL keeping that pot of N. ventrata to see just mayeb if they will live again....but I probably will not have any luck unfortunately
sad.gif

Thanks guys. Your words have given me hope. I have cut off everything down to a half-inch stump, kept it in it's pot, and have continued to water it.

Thank you all very much for the hope you have given me.

More info on the plant before it died:
When I got it, it was a perfectly healthy young nep with good-looking pitchers. When I brought it home, I misted it with distilled water every day, and kept it moist(I had to water it from the top, due to the fact that the clear platic ''pot'' that it was in didn't have any drainage holes at all). I kept it outside as much as possible, but only on over 40*F. days, which was becoming rare, even here in Florida, during the winter. After a few days, every one of the pitchers completely closed simultaneously, never to open again. Every new pitcher to sprout(it was extremely slow growing)would never open and came up very small. When the tiny new pitchers did come up, they would immediately turn black and die, slowly followed by the leaf turning black and dieing as well. Eventually, despite all my efforts, the whole plant completely stopped growing and just up and died, all in a matter of two weeks or so.

P.S. The ''pot'' that it is in is actually a square, clear plastic container that department store's cps are always sold in. I made a couple drainage holes in the bottom of the container. I have been watering the nep from the top since I got it at Wal-Mart many moons ago. Should I move it into a ''pot'' pot? Or would it be better to just leave it where it is?

The pitchers lids closing is a common problem when a plant goes from a very humid environment to a less humid one. Nepenthes need to be adjusted slowly to new conditions. Usually new growth will be adjusted to your growing conditions provided they are within the normal parameters for the plant. The turning black part is more worrysome. I suspect that it was too wet and the roots suffocated/rotted. Generally speaking Nepenthes should be in a well drained mix and kept moist.

Tony

I wonder how many Wal-mart neps survive even a few months. Its like selling Darlingtonia and you know people are going to try and grow them inside and wonder why the things die of heatstroke.

Oh well.

Andrew

mine have lived for many months and now they're putting on two inch pitchers with lots of color which are the second biggest pitchers in my collection

FTG, at this my guess would also be that there wasn't enough drainage. However, I have a question. Did moss come in the "pot" with it? And if so did you leave it there?

I have gotten several plants in those containers and everyone of them came with decorative green moss that they were trying to pass off as spagnum.

why kind of Nep was it? I don't know a ton about the group in general, just the type I have which is a ventricosa. They are common so if thats what you had, it probubly had to much light and water. They don't really like heavy misting like some Neps. and whats really odd, it they get burn (black leaves) easy too. I keep mine in a high humidity, room temp terrarium with indirect light and it stays happy, but because of their unusual nature(being somewere between high and low land) they can do okay without high humidity and just a light mist every few days. The soil should be just damp, but I've found the indirect light to be the most importent factor to avoid damage. Good luck with the, erm, stump.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ Feb. 14 2003,6:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FTG, at this my guess would also be that there wasn't enough drainage. However, I have a question. Did moss come in the "pot" with it? And if so did you leave it there?

I have gotten several plants in those containers and everyone of them came with decorative green moss that they were trying to pass off as spagnum.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually, I put five small holes in the bottom of it, so I doubt that would be the case.

Yes, it did come with moss in it. I think it was sphagnum, since it was long and viny, not ground in one inch type pieces that ornamental moss is usually cut in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Feb. 14 2003,6:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why kind of Nep was it?  I don't know a ton about the group in general, just the type I have which is a ventricosa.  They are common so if thats what you had, it probubly had to much light and water.  They don't really like heavy misting like some Neps. and whats really odd, it they get burn (black leaves) easy too.  I keep mine in a high humidity, room temp terrarium with indirect light and it stays happy, but because of their unusual nature(being somewere between high and low land) they can do okay without high humidity and just a light mist every few days.  The soil should be just damp, but I've found the indirect light to be the most importent factor to avoid damage.  Good luck with the, erm, stump.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think it's a ventricosa, but I really don't know, since it was only a couple inches tall and four inches wide when I got it(and it didn't get any bigger before it browned and died).

Back