What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps in the house

I had to move all my neps inside... temp went down in the 40's. I need a greenhouse. I was thinking about buying one of those canopy type structures (made out of conduit I think) and instead of the white canvas that covers them use heavy duty clear plastic.

Dyflam, the plastic will root really quick with the sun hitting it. what ya might want to get is the shade cloth to cover it. not to shore what % shade thu maybe 20-50%. there are acouple of web pages that you can order them from. it has been a while but i just typed it in keywords or googles to find it.

Hi Dyflam. yes George is correct, the so called "heavy duty" plastic may be tough but not against the sun! It isn't UV resisitant. The good greenhouse 6 mil preferable (but you can go like to 3 mil if you want a little cheaper) and it lasts 5 years max. I would opt for the shade cloth ONLY in summer, winter you will want all light possible. Go with a 40-50% since your down south where sun is much more harsh. Also keep in mind if you want to keep your Neps in it make sure humidity is plentiful!
smile.gif
Eventually they will adapt to the humidity but wanna give them a good wet air first then you can lower it to what you wish. Good luck.
smile.gif

Back