What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep Cutting Shipping Methods

I am planning to take a few cutting of my neps (they out grew my terrium and are now spreading along the top/roof) and offer them in the trading forum. I was wondering what is the best method to ship them.

Thanks

The best method is to have me come by and pick up a few cuttings from you.
smile.gif

Basically, I have found that if you cut them off wrap a wet paper towel ball or moist Sphagnum ball on the bottom end in a ziplock bag that works well.

If you won't be rooting them then take a handful of wet long fiber sphagnum and wring out the clump like a sponge and wrap the cuttings in it and place in a baggie. Fold over and tape the baggies so the cuttings are held securely in their journey. Use a shipping box large enough that you can add some wadded up newspaper shredded newspaper or styrofoam peanuts to pad the baggies of sphagnum & cuttings) on all sides and top/bottom and keep them from flopping around in the box.

The process is the same for rooted cuttings, you must pack them securely or the stress to the cuttings will be tenfold if they are rattling around their box the whole journey. Ship via 2-3 day priority mail for safest delivery. Write "please deliver to door" on the box in big letters  so that hopefully the mailman will not stick the box into a hot (or freezing) mailbox which will definately wipe out fresh unrooted cuttings (and established cuttings).

Anyway, that's what I do when I send Neps by mail. If you think you might do a lot of trading you might invest $15 in a paper shredder. You can always find used newspapers almost anywhere and that + the shredder = instant packing material.

Back