What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im thinking about getting a nepenthes

Im debating on whether or not to get a Nepenthes. After looking at some of hte pictures, i see they can get pretty large. Are there certain types, or ways to grow them to keep them smaller? Also, would they thrive well in a terriarum with VFTs? Thanks for the info

here is a list that was posted for some begginer neps

(highlands)
N. Alata
N. Ventricosa
N. Maxima
N. Tobaica
N Khasiana
N. Truncata

Hi Myke,
Nepenthes generally do get very large and will not do too well alongside a venus flytrap as VFTs need a dormancy period and Nepenthes will not tolerate a dormancy period. Just think of the temperature variation between North Carolina and Borneo. There's a big difference. They may co-exist for a while but "thriving" is likely out of the question.

There are some smaller species of Nepenthes but they are often quite expensive and generally not recommended for beginners due to their demands for specific temperature, humidity and light. Though the leaves and pitchers on these species may remain around 4-6" they will also get long stems as well.

If you would like to get started in Nepenthes my recommended plant is Nepenthes x Ventrata the hybrid between N. ventricosa and N. alata. It's not "small" but it's not one of the dinner table sized plants either! It is very easy to keep alive, even if it isn't pitchering it will survive and grow (slowly) in a window which recieves a few hours of direct light every day.

My uncle abused his Ventrata which grew unpitchered but many yards long for almost 10 years. I took a three leaf cutting from the tip and brought it home and put it in a hot and humid terrarium with bright light it promptly rooted and began making wonderful 6" pitchers. It's a very hardy plant for beginers and also one which is quite easy to find from dealers at a cheap price because it is so fast/easy growing in good conditions.

Hope that helps a bit!

thanks for the help =) i think ill look into that. im debating on whether to get 1 nep and 1 red dragon double plant from PFT, or get the 3 VFT set. Both are around the same price, but im not sure if i want too much variety just yet. im still new at this, and might want to see how my VFTs do first!

Exotic Gardens also sells N. ventricosa (I think). These make nice terrarium plants which can be cut back if they get too big (depending on the size of the terrarium) or carefully moved to a windowsill in climates that are not overly dry.
Tony

Myke,
Your success depends upon what you are willing to put into your setup and choosing the appropriate species for that environment. You can't really compare growing VFTs with nepenthes as their requirements are almost compeletly different. As one's climate is Temperate and the other's climate is Equatorial Tropical, the temperatures do not change throughout the year by more than a few degrees. The seasons in the Nepenthes region are generally differentiated by "a lot of rain" and "a lot more rain than before".  
wink.gif

As proof of their long-term incompatibility I can tell you that I grow all kinds of rare Neps but I'm a total Venus flytrap killer! I don't buy VFTs, Pings, Terrestrial Utrics or Sundews anymore because for some reason I always kill em all after a yera or so. It's likely because my setups are geared towards Nepenthes and their heat/cold and humidity requirements.

Please, before you buy anything decide what your setup will be and look up what plants will do well in those conditions. Ask yourself the following:

If you will be using an aquarium to house the plants how big will it be?

Do you intend on getting a larger tank if/when your plants outgrow this one?

How will you provide lighting for the terrarium?

How much lighting will you provide for the terrraium? All plants have a prefered light level for good growth.

What temperature will the tank or growing area be during the day when the sun is shining directly on the growing spot (or when the artifical lights are on) and how cool will it be at night?

Will the temperatures (day and night) change throughout the seasons by more than 15 degrees up or down? If yes, is there a way you can keep the temperature steady year round? Nepenthes require a consistent and species apropriate climate to thrive (grow and pitcher continually) year round.

If you've heard orchids were hard just think, Nepenthes are "harder", but they are more worth the effort as the rewards are continuous (and this is coming from an orchid nut). The "hard" part comes from providing the correct climate, which as I said at first, depends upon what you want to put into it.

Thanks for all the info! It helped alot. Im still not sure what im goign to do, but atleast i know where to start!

Myke here's a link to my website, it has a basic nepenthes culture page and then some specifics for highland (cool growing) and lowland (warm growing) nepenthes cultivation.
Jurassic Gardens
The site isn't finished but I'm working diligently on it.
wink.gif

Back