What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes on my windowsill?

Hello everybody,

Does anybody have some Neps growing on there windowsill??? I find the plants really beautifull, and I would love one, but I don't have a greenhouse or someting..... So, I was wondering would I be able to grow somekind of Nepenthes on my windowsill?

Here some data from my windowsill:

Normal temprature: C 21 / F 69-70
Warm (when hit by sun or in summer) C 25-30 / F 77 - 86
low (when its dark) C 14 / F 57

Air circurculation: most of the time, when its not to cold outside, my window is a little bit open.

Humidity: Never gets below 60% usualy around 70-80%

Light: my windows gets full sun from sunrise till +- 13.00AM, if the sun shines that is. If it doesn't shine, it will be bright shade/indirect light all of the day.

When its winter, it might be a little bit colder. but not too mutch. I sleep & live there remember.

I hope you guys can help me with this one!

Greetings & Happy growing,

WildFire

It sounds like a highlander would do well. I personally have no experience with them, so I can't give you much more help. I think the temperatures might be a little low to get the true lowlanders to do well. On second thought, if you could keep them in some kind of clear container that would bring up the humidity and temp, they might do OK. Was that as confusing as I think it was?

SF

Hey WildFire,

I used to grow ventricosa and khasiana on a windowsill but now they are too big so they go out on the deck during summer and come in for winter and sit in my living room. I'd recommend either of these for your purpose
smile.gif

I have N. Ventricosa growing on my window sill as we speak.

I have grown a number of Nepenthes in the Northeast where conditions sound similar.

Yes it can be done but consider also.

You need to select plants which will deal with the conditions.

Heating and A/C devices will lower humidity to a point where the plants won't pitcher well, even the more tolerant plants. This was a problem during the Winter for me. I don't have A/C so no problem there during the rest of the year. Ultrasonic humidifier near the plants might help if needed.

Condition your plants slowly. Most likely they will have come from a nursery where humidity is kept fairly high.

Potential plants from my experience growing on both an East and West window.
N. truncata
N. xVentrata
N. maxima
N. ventricosa
N. khasiana

Tony

I agree with everyone.
wink.gif
I grow ventricosa and truncata hybrids and such outside or on a window if my cat's wouldn't eat them.
tounge.gif
The hybrids seem to do really well.

Growing out on my deck are:
ventricosa
alata
ventrata
macfarlaeni x ventricosa
truncata x ventricosa
x emmarene

The alata's putting up some nice little pitchers, and the other hybrids are doing rather nicely.
smile.gif

Hello everybody,

Thanx! this is realy usefull! I guess all I have to do now, is find a place where I can buy them....
Anyway, in short, its like this:

My windowsill is useable for highlanders
Heating drops humidity, Ultrasonic humidifier near the plants might help. Be sure your cat doesn't eat them. Condition your plants slowly,because of the high humidity level problem. You need to select plants which will deal with the conditions. becarefull they don't get to big.  

Recomeded plants: ventricosa, khasiana, Ventrata (recomeded/named by several persons)

Btw here some more questions that came up when I was typing this:
1. Did I forget anything?    2. Do I grow it in an hanging basket, or on a elevation, like an upsidedown pot?    3. Is it posible to prune them, if they get to big?    4. which of the above is most easy to grow?

Thanx for answering!!

Greetings & happy growing,

WildFire

Hello wildfire,
I think that any of those are really easy, great plants for windowsill. Hanging basket or platform is really a personal preference, I'd say hanging because it can look pretty cool with the pitchers hanging everywhere. Sure you can trim a few leaves off when it gets too big, and use them for cuttings, and this also encourages bushy growth. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

petflytrap sells nepenthes ventricosa, a great windowsill plant

Spectabilis73, Pft is in the Usa right? I'm from Holland, so do they ship overseas, and is it legal? Also, I can't find them on the site, only N. rafflesiana & N. truncata....

Edit: Never mind, I just found it
tounge.gif

WildFire

It is a great plant, especially PFT's, but unfortunately, as of now, they can't ship overseas... GOOD LUCK in your search!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Thank you, Lithopsman! When I discoverd PFT doesn't send overseas, I went searsching for someting closer to home. After a while, I found this website that specializes in Nepenthes, and its nurserie is in Germany. So, I can order like anything from their if I want!

Greetings & Happy growing,

WildFire

Wildfire,
Seems like you've gotten tons of response to growing Neps on sills. Let me chime in. I grow all of my lowlanders as houseplants on windowsills or buy a sunny window. This includes some of the more demanding species like N. bicalcarata and N. northiana. Another words, give it a go! There are so many great Neps at cheap prices that will grow in homes like yours. Once acclimated to your household conditions, they pretty much grow like regular ol' houseplants. You might even be able to grow outdoors too with some of your highlanders. Hybrids do especially well indoors with minimal expenditures. Good water, light, and soil and you should do fine. Tony is great source for quality Neps and advice. If you want, you can visti Nepenthes Around the House my page for information. Don't be afraid to experiment with these great plants!
Joel

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NepsAroundTheHouse @ Sep. 19 2003,03:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wildfire,
Seems like you've gotten tons of response to growing Neps on sills. Let me chime in. I grow all of my lowlanders as houseplants on windowsills or buy a sunny window. This includes some of the more demanding species like N. bicalcarata and N. northiana. Another words, give it a go! There are so many great Neps at cheap prices that will grow in homes like yours. Once acclimated to your household conditions, they pretty much grow like regular ol' houseplants. You might even be able to grow outdoors too with some of your highlanders. Hybrids do especially well indoors with minimal expenditures. Good water, light, and soil and you should do fine. Tony is great source for quality Neps and advice. If you want, you can visti Nepenthes Around the House my page for information. Don't be afraid to experiment with these great plants!
Joel[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Wildfire,
I am in England and have found quite a number of highland & even lowland like windowsills.
Currently I have N.ventricosa x inermis & straight N.ventricosa on my kitchen windowsill. And N. coccinea & N.merrilliana x alata on my bathroom window. I never mist them, only stand them on upturned pots over a small dish of water. So give it a try!

Hi Joel,
What a great web site you have there! An inspiration for us all
smile.gif

cheers

bill

hey wildfire im from singapore...
all the cps selling in singapore are shipped from a huge nusery in holland...maybe you should try to find out what the nusery is

Well, I have found a nursery in my country, but it doesn't sell any nepenthes though... so thats why I have to look in other countrys for that kind of plants... Maybe the plants come from that other nursery, that is not open to public....it seems to be really big... You can't order from them though..... its called carniflora or something....

WildFire

Back