What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

few ?s

hey i have a few ?s.
are pitcher plants over all easier to care for than vfts?
can you over feed them?
do they have to have high humidity?

S Purpurea that pft.com sells is a good sarracenia starter. it likes temps about 75 or above, but no more that 95, and lots of bright sun, like 10 hours i am saying, mine gets that and its turning nice and red
smile.gif
they would like mayeb a 8" pots, i just transplanted mine from 3" to 6", looks much better
smile.gif
you can over feed them. if you keep it outside i wouldnt suggest feeding. but have the pitchers half way with distiled water and they like to hav a tray of water
smile.gif

hope this helps, the purpurea is really good starter and hard to kill
tounge.gif

Depends on what kind of pitcher plant you are talking about. But I am assuming you are talking about purple pitcher plants. S. Purpurea are sold out here right now.

1. are pitcher plants over all easier to care for than vfts?
Personally I think that they are easier than VFT. They can stand being wetter and take more light (I sunburned my VFT in full sunlight even in early spring!). And to those of us who like to play with our plants, there are no traps to set off and waste the plants energy with.

2. can you over feed them?
Well if you fill the pitcher up too much it might burn or cause the individual pitcher to die.

3. do they have to have high humidity?
What in your opinion is "high"? They take around the same humidity as VFT but like the VFT they do better with higher humidity.

Hi Joe,
Sarracenia pitcher plants are easier than VFT to grow and more satisfying (for me). To answer your questions; Overfeeding will not harm the plant itself, sometimes mature pitchers of Sarracenia flava grown outside here in England will fill to the brim within a week of opening and then the pitcher gets brown patches from too much bacterial activity from the digeting of the catch. Under glass or in your home, it is unlikely that you will ever over feed them. With humidity, that depends where you live. Humidity in the UK rarely drops below 40% so I don't have a problem' Whats your humidity level there?

I give them no special treatment to increase the humidity even on the hottest driest days, but again, standing your plants in large trays of water and a lot of plants together should give humidity enough..

Back