What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heliamphoras

N

nomi

I seem to be really hit and miss with heliamphoras . I try all different approaches but they are tough for me to grow. i do have one in my greenhouse that is fine but the others aren't so great. does anyone have any ideas or tips about growing them? it would be much appreciated. thanks nomi
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Heliamphora mostly like cool nighttime temps, like the Ultrahighland Nepenthes. I have a H.Heterodoxa and it is fine in a room temperature terrarium. The other species like it very cool at night. All the hybrids are even easier than the easy species. They like wet,open,fast draining mixes like perlite,sphagnum moss and a touch of peat moss perhaps. Bright light is essential for good growth, have in very bright light,mine are in diffused sunlight. Also feeding regularly is very good for growth. Good Luck!
smile.gif

If heat is your problem try growing in live sphagnum, i live in florida and keep mine in the air conditioning , but its still a wee bit hot so i water with refrigerated rain water to top water the plants and place iced rain water in their tray.it seems to be working so far. i did have one die but that was becouse it was in horrible shape when i got it.

Joel
biggrin.gif

I just grow mine on my window sill in pure LF sphag in a ceramic pot. It has gotten upto 100 in the appartment (the A/C went out) and the temp never drops below 80 and my plant is growing strong, 6-8" pitchers. I hardly ever water it, instead I mist it every time I pass by

Back