What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first sarracenias

A friend of mine gave me these baby seedlings yesterday!
biggrin.gif
 I know it's real hard to indentefy them...but could any of you guys try?
confused.gif

baby%20sarracenias.jpg

First, are they all the same species? The one at the top looks to be a s. purpurea. Very hard to tell at this point.

Given that they could be a hybrid or a species, it's almost impossible to know so soon. And, if they're hybrids, it might not be possible even after they grow up. But they don't look like S. purpurea to me.

The one on the left is a S.Psittacina probably, the top is probably a hybrid with maybe Psittacina, purpurea, or minor, the other two im not sure, when they mature, you will know, btw, what kind of soil are you using there?
Kevin

All sarracenia seedlings pretty much look identical, regardless of species or hybrid. You're going to have to wait another year or two AT LEAST, before you can make any reasonable guess.

Lucky, my seeds won't do diddly for me. I've tried freezing them, rolling them with a rolling pin, soaking in water, planting them normally, planting them normally for a few weeks then freezing them
tounge.gif
They don't even show the slightest sine of life, curse them waterproof seed cases that smush from rolling pin to much!

Well Kevin, it's a mix of Peat moss, rocks, sand and sphagnum moss. And that's about it
biggrin.gif

ok, thanks, it just looked a little odd, must work though!
Kevin

Back