What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph troubles

G

Ok, I bought a Ceph from someone but unfortunately it arrived here rotted. The plant was all slimy and black but there was one kinda green leaf that wasn't mushy yet so I put that on a peat/sand mix. Do you guys think I have a decent chance of getting it to grow as a cutting? Should I use a rooting hormone to help it out? Or is the whole thing a lost cause?
I don't know why they rotted en-route.. there was alot of water in the bag.. maybe too much moisture?

Worth a try but unlikely it will root as it needs to have the base of the leaf where it attaches to the stem.

Why did it rot?  Too much moisture, too long in shipping, too hot or too cold during transit, something wrong with it before it was shipped...

T

Hope they will replace it for you.

In my experience, cephs are incredibly hardy. Mine got scale right after I got it, and spent six months with only one leaf (all winter), but lived! They're pretty unpredictable though, mine may suddenly grow or die back with no change in conditions all the time.You can try growing it, but they seem to require an incredible amount of patience. It will probably be a long time before it shows new growth.

Tony is right, you should see if they'll replace it. It can't be good for business to send out plants like that...

I'm not sure why it rotted. It was put in a zip-lock bag with some peat/ sand and water. It looked like it had too much moisture. It was mailed 4 days ago so it wasn't in the box too long.
I feel bad asking for replacements though...

How big is the ceph? It it dies, you can take some root cuttings and hope for the best. It takes a lot of time for new plantlets to pop up, but it works!

Well, it looks like I won't be getting any replacements. When I told the person I bought the plant from about their condition on arrival I was told to try the cutting. *sigh* I spent days worth of tips on this..
Anyway, the plants were about 2 inches. The leaf that might have some life left in it is small.. the size of a pencil eraser. Should I use a rooting hormone? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of rooting this?

Rooting hormone should help. I didn't use any and still got good results. New plantlets develop much faster than I thought they would. It just takes a LONG time for root cuttings to "do" anything.

I also had a similar experience with C.follicularis rotting in the mail. The plant was shipped too wet...

Can anyone reccomend a good place to get a Ceph? A place that ships them correctly?

Bonnie,

I hear folk have good results from Charles Brewer.

I am curious to know the name of a company that refuses to replace mis-packaged material. It might save some other members from repeating your disappointment. 4 days in the mail is not unreasonable, and having the plant arrive in this condition is unacceptable. The person responsible should be just that: responsible.

Sorry for your misfortune. when my Ceph. gets big enough for cuttings you're first on my list :)

Purplesundew, have you ever tried to click the "homepage" button near Tony's name?
wink.gif

Joachim

P.S.: Here in Germany they are available from some DYI-stores and garden-centers...

Yeah, I agree with Tamlin - I'd like to know who that was, I'm certainly not likely to deal with them...
Though I do have some idea who it might be...

sad.gif
It died.. the final leaf turned slimy
sad.gif
sad.gif

purple sundew,
I would also like to know who sold it,please pv me who sold it to you.
Spectabilis73
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purplesundew @ Oct. 05 2002,12:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can anyone reccomend a good place to get a Ceph? A place that ships them correctly?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've had success dealing with Tony. His Ceph came with at least 8 healthy mature pitchers, and I have about a dozen new pitchers forming right now, plus two entirely new crowns emerging from the soil. I saw zero shipping damage.

Glad to hear your Ceph. is doing well Leo
smile.gif

Tamlin and Spectabilis73- I hesitate to say who I bought it from. I don't want any other people to have the same bad experience I did...  I bought it from a person and as far as I know he doesn't have a company.. he just sells plants on the side. When I told him the plants arrived rotted he said to try the cutting and when I told him the cutting turned black as well he dissapeared and hasn't contacted me since.
confused.gif
sad.gif

I fail to see why not informing people is the way to go. There are no excuses retailer or individual for not shipping healthy plants and making sure they arrive healthy and if something should happen then to make amends. Sometimes you lose money when something happens and you have to replace plants. That is the way it goes. If they can't understand that and accept it then they shouldn't be selling in the first place. If they can't be replaced then at least give a refund on the purchase. We all have occasional problems, what is more troubling about it is not that the plant arrived dead.. that happens. But that it won't be replaced or refunded. This speaks volumes about an individual and how they feel about about their customers and fellow growers and others in general.

If someone posted that they got a plant and it arrived dead I would perhaps hesitate to order unless it was something I was really after. But to know ahead of time that it was at my own risk and they don't have a good record for shipping healthy plants I would think twice. On the other hand to know someone received a plant in poor shape and the plant was rapidly replaced or a refund made or something similiar. I would feel much calmer about ordering from them myself.

Sounds to me like it was someone here that was a member of PFT. And you don't want others to know. Personally I don't see how protecting one individual from embaressment outweighs protecting a whole lot of individuals from perhaps having a problem and throwing their hard earned money away.

If this was indeed a member here and your reading this.. shame on you for not rectifying the situation.

A highly irritated,
Tony

You make a very good point Tony. I was trying to give the guy time to respond.. just in case. I guess if he was interested in making things right he would have said so in his first reply about the plants. When I told him they were rotted the only thing he said is "let me know if the cutting works" and then hasn't responded to any e-mail since. I bought the plants from Douglas Bertelsen, an ICPS Listserv member. He might be a member of PFT too.. I don't know. Along with the e-mails I have posted on 2 different boards and the listserv about this and still haven't seen a reply from him.

Back