What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some temperate Utricularia, that can grow along side some D. rotundifolia, D. anglica, P. vulgaris, P. villosa, and If I can find any either this year, or early next spring, some cold temperate D. intermedia...

Basically, my stipulations are as follows: must be temperate, must have some sort of leaf shape, ie, not grassy, and it hopfully, should be able to grow, and flower along side those plants...Oh, and uh, it should be terrestrial... thanks!!!

You are limited as far as terresterial temperate species go: There is cornuta and the closely related juncea that might fufill your desires. Most of the temperate species are aquatic though.

Ok, thanks alot Tamlin... BTW, welcome back, I hope your honeymoon was great (I hope I'm not welcoming you back too late, how embarassing:p)!!!

Yes, like I said, There are only going to be pings, and dews, so I only need one or two species of utric... I just thought they would be nice to have shoot up a few little flowers, and I suppsoe a natural way to keep fungus gnat populations down, but the pings, and dews will take good care of that... It will only be a small, ten inch or so pot...

Are either of the species you mentioned easy to find? How about care for?
wink.gif

Thanks!!!

They're easey to grow in a peaty medium thats kept nice and moist. I would just buy U.cornuta.

The care is as simple as all the other terrestrial species. As for a source, I cant recommend any: the plants I have are recently acquired as a gift. Maybe next season I will have some to spare, although I believe my clone is the southern variety and may not take a hard long freeze that your other temperates will require.

Haven't had this conversation before?

Resupinata and subulata (groan.) also grow in cold climates. Nothing that fits your leaf requirement though.

Hmm... Well if they look grassy...

Well Basically, I've been starting to not mind the grassy look, but if I'm gonna have all these plants amongst eachother, I'm not sure I want some spikes shootting up between, say, my D. anglica leaves, u know?

If thats all there is though.... I think subulata might be interesting to have... I mean. Its always flowering, right?
tounge.gif

Thanks. ^_^

Subulata is always flowering, but the usual form of the flowers is cleistogamous (literally: closed room) meaning the flowers are not often the opening form. Still, in appearance it would probably meet your requirements, and the flowers when they are produced are very pretty. Just remember its weedy nature, and don't be tempted to use any outdoor moss in your pots (or soil, or transplants from outdoors to indoors) and it should behave itself for you. Outdoors.

People who grow plants outdoors or in greenhouses seem to have subulata flower quite well. Usually they are people who grow sarrs or Drosera in temperate climates and have subulata growing as weeds. I have a feeling that growing subulata in an outdoor bog in Ontario would have quite spectacular results.

I have always wondered if the cleistogamy in this species was more a matter of different clones being more or less willing to flower, or if it was just not enough light. My plants always seem to produce open flowers, but my setup is light rich. I would like to see someone who doesn't get open flowers on their plants try to increase the light to see if it really is the deciding factor.

Ok, kewl. Thanks... ^_^I appreciate it!

Back