What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice and help please

• Thread starter KuSa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly vft
K

KuSa

I am conducting an experiment in regards to VFT and have conducted much research into the topic. Does any one have any ideas about an experiment. I have thought about conducting an experiment to see whether a fly can survive solely on the consumption of flies. This would be conducted in terrariums, and in the dark.. I know that the plant which receives no food will die since it can photosyntheses, the other plant will be able to collect flies naturally, and the other plant will be fed regulary....What do you think...Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KuSa @ April 02 2003,4:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am conducting an experiment in regards to VFT and have conducted much research into the topic. Does any one have any ideas about an experiment.  I have thought about conducting an experiment to see whether a fly can survive solely on the consumption of flies. This would be conducted in terrariums, and in the dark.. I know that the plant which receives no food will die since it can't photosynthesize, the other plant will be able to collect flies naturally, and the other plant will be fed regulary....What do you think...Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
welcome to the forums!
could you explain better? i don't see what flys eating flys has to do with a cp science project.
vfts can survive on only flys.
vfts can survive with no food at all, I don't see why you think it will die without food.
confused.gif

I have done a science project on flytraps, I researched and tryed everything, propagation, feeding, life cycle, carbon oxygen cycle, etc you might want to try stuff like that

it will be interesting to see if the flytrap in the dark lives, only living on flys.
smile.gif

My guess would be "no". I think that CPs only get nutrients from their prey, not energy.

You could do an experiment to see whether feeding them hamburger really does kill them, using a control that is fed a similar amount of insect material.

just DON'T do an experiment on whether feeding a vft trap supertrive directly in the traps benifits the plant. i tried that. put about half a drop in the mouth. triggered it to close. left the toothpick in there and further moved the toothpick to simulate live prey. sure enough. the trap turned black. so i cut it off. not 6 days later the center of the plant turned brown and died. ...so if you wanted to know. ...now you know.
wink.gif
another vft looses it's life to science.
later,

Hey adnedarn, was that the diluted superthive?

Hi KuSa

Welcome to the forums!

Perhaps you could do a project to demonstrate how the VFT has particular care requirements (that simulate its natural environment). You could have two plants...one you care for in the proper way, one you "break all the rules." You could chart the growth of the two plants and record the differences. That way, you could explain how the plant lives naturally in nutrient poor soil and it evolved to eat bugs as a supplement, etc.

Have one plant in proper soil, good lighting, water with pure water. Have another in low light, water with tap water, have in regular potting soil and use fertilizer...etc.

But I think your classmates might enjoy learning about carnivorous plants and how to grow them properly.

Only bad thing is you'll sacrifice a VFT.
confused.gif

Just an idea! Good luck!

Suzanne

one half PURE drop!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (adnedarn @ April 03 2003,03:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">triggered it to close.  left the toothpick in there and further moved the toothpick to simulate live prey.  sure enough.  the trap turned black.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I had a similar experience when i bit into a lemon.

Sorry I made it unclear at first, I was in a rush at school....

I am planning to conduct an experiment to test wether a Venus Fly Trap can survive solely on the consumption on flys. To make this a fair experiment this also means that I would be leaving the plants in a dark terrarium. They will have exposure to one or two hours of light per day so they dont die, yet are unable to photosynthesize. (sp) They will be placed in an area where flys are common ( I will leave a rotten fruit to the entrance of each plants terrarium) One plant will be covered in fly screen so it has no access to flies, the otyher will fend naturally and the other will be hand fed.....

Sorry for making unclear befroe and thanks for all the help...I look forward to even more!!... VFT are certainly amazing plants!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ April 02 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi KuSa

Welcome to the forums!

Perhaps you could do a project to demonstrate how the VFT has particular care requirements (that simulate its natural environment).  You could have two plants...one you care for in the proper way, one you "break all the rules."  You could chart the growth of the two plants and record the differences.  That way, you could explain how the plant lives naturally in nutrient poor soil and it evolved to eat bugs as a supplement, etc.

Have one plant in proper soil, good lighting, water with pure water.  Have another in low light, water with tap water, have in regular potting soil and use fertilizer...etc.

But I think your classmates might enjoy learning about carnivorous plants and how to grow them properly.

Only bad thing is you'll sacrifice a VFT.  
confused.gif

Just an idea!  Good luck!

Suzanne[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Excellent idea... a better experiment in my opinion.

Back