What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where can i see cp's in the wild

tuyen thi

BANNED
growing up in southern California , i never saw a single cp in the wild , but if i could get an address to anywhere in the US that has carnivorous plants , i would be very thankful . So in the future when i have enough money for a airplane ticket , ican see the cp's in the wild .
smile.gif

Due to the high occurance of poaching in the wild, very few people give out the locations of CPs. Your best bet in the US would be the South but I can't get more specific than that as I don't know any locations.

Pyro

Tuyen,

I lived in Humboldt County in northern california for 5 years. It's just south of Oregon, but in California. Prime Darlingtonia country. It's probably the closest to where we live.

There IS no address - you would have to go at least half an hour off the most remote trails, which is very destructive to the habitat. I believe I saw some once on an official class mycology field trip, but we had to stay on the game trail.

I hope you have a lot of money for a plane ticket (I went there this weekend). You have to fly to SFO ($100-$200) and there are approximately 3 flights per day to the Arcata area ($150-$400). You can also drive there, but it's approx. 700 miles to Arcata/Eureka, then you will have to drive north into the forests between Trinidad and Oregon itself - another 30-60 miles.

So, please enjoy the plants you have at home, most of the habitats that CPs grow in would be destroyed or poached if anyone knew where they were.

nepenthes come from, borneo, phillipines, sumatra, and other places around that location

and other places too, thats mainly where they came frim

There is a section of the Pacific Crest Trail in Northern California, beyond Castle Crags State Park near White Ridge, Darlingtonia grows amongst trailside springs... no off trail destruction since they are right there next to the trail.
wink.gif
Plus the wildflowers are beautiful too

here's a picture... (scanned, not the greatest quality, sorry)

north.jpg

I found out I had D.Rotundifolia S.Purp subsp. Purp and D.Intermedia as well as P.Vulgaris and some aquatic Ultricularia from asking the locals in remote areas, theyu showed me some bogs and bingo bango you got wild CP's to look at and it is nice to know that your in a state that has them.
smile.gif

Anybody know a place in california where I can find utricularia , butterwort , and cp destruction ( need some photo's for school news paper )

I remember seeing little red pitcher plants up in the UP in Michigan. I remember seeing lots them as I was duck hunting. They were on a bog near muniscong bay. If I recall they were bright red and about 4 inchs tall and believe the were part of the Sarracenia species.

travis

I'm going to the UP!I'm in the LP!

I think it would be nice to see CP in the wild but since there are no trails so you don't know what your stepping on. You may squish some sarracenia seedlings or push seeds down into the ground with your feet and lower the already low population of CP in the US.
sad.gif

Travis funny you should mention Sarracenia in MI. I am going to MI this summer maby to see my aunt and she's taking me to a bog she's knows of in the UP meanr Marquette I think.
confused.gif
And she has seen LOTS of Purpurea subsp. Purpurea there as well as the Hertophylla form of it!!!
wow.gif
Excitement awaits me!
biggrin.gif

Hi,

There is a bog in northern IN called Pinhook Bog. You can make appointments with the IN park service for tours on certain days. There you will find Sarracenia purpurea, Drosera (rotundifolia?), and bladderwort (species?). I really want to go, but it didn't work out last summer when we were at the dunes. Here's a link: http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5262/pbog.html
    It seems pretty cool. Hope you can make it to the Hoosier state and have fun too.
Bye for now.

aea3 and nep g:
If you want to see them Muniscong (sp) bay is the farthest east part of the U.P.  It is some pond or lake that I recall. That is all I can give you...it was about 10 years ago.

As for Marquette I will keep that in mind maybe by some luck I could spot Cp's around that area.:)

As a word of caution you can go to prison and pay thousounds of dollars in fees for picking Cp's in the wild and more if you try to sell them. As I am sure you already know.

travis

Back