What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hermit crabs and CPs

When I was in Grade 8/8th Grade I had pet land hermit crabs which I bought at a local pet store. Me and my brother had a total of 6 crabs, which lasted like 2 years.
If you've been watching "Survivor: Pearl Islands" on CBS you can see them once in awhile. They invaded the Morgan camp on the first night.
It would be cool to bring back my old hobby and combine it with my new CP hobby and have them in a terrarium with CPs or would it be a disaster and they would be just another meal for the plants after a few days?
confused.gif

I don't think it would be a problem putting hermit crabs in with CP. I would just leave the CP in their own individual pots while the hermit crabs would wander around them.

Another problem is if the plants don't eat the hermits, the hermits might eat the plants. They also have a habit of climbing and burrowing. I once had a real plant in with them and they burrowed down and ate some of the roots. They are also omnivorous; I used to feed them grapes and lettuce along with the regular food pellets.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I think they would eat the cps.

They would either eat the plants, or crush them. If you have/had hermit crabs, you'll know that they don't comprehend walking "around" something. They always try to walk right over it. *Squish goes the sundew*

Mike
smile.gif

I have to admit that they aren't the smartest critter around. They're kind of clumsy, climb over anything they can (even if its easier to go around) and will pop into their shell at the first sign of danger or a shadow.

biggrin.gif

They would push each other out of the way to get to the food bowl (even though there was more then one) and didn't care who they were standing on.

tounge.gif

They may not have been little Einsteins, but they were cute to watch and I don't miss the "chirping" they sometimes made at night.

rolleyes.gif

Hey
I think that You could probaly keep certian plants with Hermit Crabs. The larger plants with thicker stalks would probaly do better. Pitcher Plants would be the ones I would choose. The hermit Crabs would probaly not eat enough off the plant to hurt. Currently I have six crabs, with medium seculent, and I have not noticed any nibbleing.
If you want to put it in make sure you put some chicken wire over the top of the pot, becase They will love to dig in the nice soft soil.
Its up to you... I have never tried CP in a crab tank, but I have tried w/other plants.
Aaron

there would be one problem when they have ot malt they go in sand so you would have to take them out for that and the soil might make them mold???

I don't know how humid hermit crabs like their tank but what you could do is buy some of those plastic planters that look like stone. They come in different sizes and can be found at most large pet shops in the reptile section. They come with adhesive tape so you can tape them to the back of the terrarium to look like cliffs. Then plant some nepenthes in them. Like this they will be out of the reach of the crabs.

This link is our snake tank, on the back wall you can see the planters I am talking about.

snake tank

Hermit crabs eat ALL plants. Another important note is that you should be sure you cp has ABSOLUTELY no traces of insectide, fungicide, or any other sprays

Back