What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrailian tree fern

i recently just brought on of these guys , it was in a 1 gallon pot and was labeled alsophila australis . i am growing it behing my pond tree with give it some shade and am fertilizinfg it once in a while hope that it will grow at full height fast . i keep the soil moist and mist the plant once in a while . the last time i brought a plant it died so i am hopeing this plant will give me more luck .

oh no , its some of the leaves are starting to dry up and shrivel , i hope its not dieing like my other plant . i have seen this plant in some many homes and the owners barely care for it , may be i'm just caring for it too much . anybody know what the problem might be , i don't want to loose this plant .
sad.gif

Hi
i have one (for about 2 weeks now ) and it seemd to be fine
i just make sure it never dries out always kep it moist(read that in a book)
Oliver

my plants is doing much better now and its growing quite a bit but slowly , i even got another plant for free from my uncles friend .

I've never been able to maintain this one very long. It's difficult in my conditions.

what place would someone buy this at ?
i find it fascinateing!!!
from what i've found out online it's hairy trunk is actualy it's root sytem ?

i'd love one someday , i think it's way to dry for it here in az!!!
unless it's in a plant room or bathroom that stays humid!

I have a hunch that plant would last about 4 hrs. in Arizona. I believe humidity there is in the negative numbers!

yes oh yes it is,
odly enough my Gardeinas that loved the humidity in washigton are doing remarkible , , and i've found that some plants can do good without high humidity like my ceph , some people beive it HAS to have humidity above 30 - 40 percent,.......
my clone is doing verry well , and the people i'm tradeing off established plants and un-rooted leaf cutting good to grow!!

but there are some plants that turn2 crispy critters
like the aphids , i havents seen one aphid here lots of other pests but no aphids LOL!!!!!!

I have pondered buying this at a greenhouse here but it is $40 for a 2gl potted. Sounds like they can be a pain-in-the-... to care for.

Joe

If any of you grows your plants to maturity, I'd love some spores or maybe a pup if they make those. I first saw the australian tree fern in the botanical building of Balboa Park, San Diego. These things have about twice the diameter and 10 times the beauty of the plant in my yard. What I liked even better was the Norfolk Island tree fern, which bigger and IMHO cooler than even the australian. These varieties grow very quickly, so they are only a saleable size for a short time. This is why they are not avaiable more commonly.
Peter

Back