What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown utric

Hopefully someone can help, although I don't have as much info as I'd like.  I found these Utrics in an acidic quiet pond on my parents property.  They are totally freefloating (not in substrate), the main stem is not branched, and they're located in western NY.  Unfortunately I don't know what their flowers look like yet.  I'm interested in positively I.D.ing this since the NY Natural Heritage Program only has U. minor located in this county, and I'd like to contribute to their data.  Thanks for any ideas you might have.  

utric.jpg

That looks suspiciously like U. radiata, buy I didn't think radiata grew that far north.
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ July 02 2003,09:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That looks suspiciously like U. radiata, buy I didn't think radiata grew that far north.
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
that is not radiata. radiata grows in a 'rossette'
biggrin.gif

I believe this is U. radiata as well (hard to tell without seeing the bladders which are the best way of determining species).

Spec, the rosette develops as a flotation device to support the flower scape. The actual plant is beneath the surface, and has this sort of branching.

that's what I was thinking, so I guess I'll just wait for the floats and flowers to develop

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 03 2003,09:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe this is U. radiata as well (hard to tell without seeing the bladders which are the best way of determining species).

Spec, the rosette develops as a flotation device to support the flower scape.  The actual plant is beneath the surface, and has this sort of branching.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ohh, Thanks!
alien.gif

Back