What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem with big mouth flytrap..

well i have ahd it for acouple months and it took like a week or two to come around since it was dormant when i bought it from cooks. anyhow then it produced acouple traps and was doing fine. now for the past like month it had three shoots come out that the trap just never grew mature enough to form a trap. ever since then it has done nothing... i was watering it like all my other flytraps then i thought maybe it needs less water- but that didn't do anything so the other day i let it soak in some water and didn't drink much but it is a pretty small plant. anyone have any thoughts...
thanks Jeff

Just something about this topic make me laugh out loud..."problem with big mouth flytrap.." tee hee hahahaha
tounge.gif
I am sure there is, maybe it should shut up.

What I have learned when vfts come out of dormancy they do not require to much water (I did not have any water in the tray for about month and half while coming out of dormancy_. I have found that using the tray meathod right out of dormancy cause  the vft to rot. So on that note do not use the tray meathod for at least a month and make sure it has plenty of light..

Travis

well i got it in august and like i said it started to grow then all of a sudden nothing. it always get sunlight in the window and light for acouple hrs at night under a lamp. yeah i mean the soil was still damp even after like weeks......... of not watering it. so what do you think i should do- i had already soaked it the other day- so do you think i should let it go so that the soil is dried out? thanks Jeff

I would not let it dry out, that would kill it for sure. I am not sure what your conditions are but I would water from the top every 6 to 8 days and go from there.

Travis

thanks travis - i will try that

big mouth vfts are slow growers cause of their large traps. don't worry the less you worry the better your plant will grow trust me on that one. I found when i had a big mouth vft that fungus would attack it so often that in the end i let it dry out an die..i hope you have more luck.

It is possible that a couple of the rrots have rotted off or have been damaged. If a VFT stops growing it can be a sign that it's doing its growing underground and creating new roots.

Hhhhmmm...jeffsz i got a bigmouth and your plant will look like this when it recovers.
cpuk.jpg

Back