What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good beginner Neps

Anyway, I've enjoyed keeping the little lowly Gublers Nep that I own right now, and I've been thinking about maybe getting a real species nep(though a good hybrid might fit just find if a species isn't possible. Anyhow, Im looking for a plant that is

Able to withstand relatively low humidity.

Undemanding for a nep

Stays low, without the tendency to turn into a vine(though if it does, you could always keep it at 2 feet or so by lopping off the top and making a cutting right?)Around 5-7 unches would be a good max pitcher size

In my house, the summer temps are about 80 degrees, winter is around 60.....in winter we get lots of fog, so the plants should be able to cope with that too.

Red color and/or patterning are a plus, but this is the last criteria. Shape doesn't matter until I see the plant you are suggesting!

Thanks in advance!

Best bets for your ideals, N."Judith Finn", N.spathulata

N. maxima, but it gets kind of big. N. alata would be okay. N ventricosa is good, but it has pitchers under seven inches.

For easy neps, I like:
N. alata
N. ventricosa
N. x ventrata (hybrid mix of above)
N. sanguinea
N. x Judith Finn
N. x Holland (This one might get big. I don't know yet!)
Those are ones I've grown, but there are probably some others. I like N. maxima too, but a s carcinos says, they get big.

Capslock

As far as "easiness" goes, I recommend Nepenthes x ventrata. It is the hybrid of two pretty easy to grow plants, and it also has hybrid vigor to boot. It does grow quickly though, but you could always cut it back.

The N. Petra Giant hybrid (N. ventricosa "giant" x carunculata x talangensis) is a faster grower for me than even N. ventrata. It grew a 4+ foot long stem from a 8" tall cutting from July til November when I reduced it to cuttings. It's not very pretty however, looking like a rather bland  N. ventrata when climbing (even under 400w metal halide the pitchers are no more colorful). Since the plant has been made into cuttings I will finally get to see at least a couple lower pitchers before it begins to climb again maybe they will be prettier than the uppers and necessitate keeping it pruned short. We'll see.
Here's a 15-20 cm Petra Giant upper pitcher from summer (for me the pitchers did not get over 20 cm (8"):
petragiantposter.jpg

I grow it in my intermediate chamber with days 70-80*F and nights 65-70*F it's very weedy. It is grown in high humidity and bright lighting however, so I don't know how it'd do in less than ideal conditions.

I'll go with capslock. Nepenthes X ventrata or the way i call it "Nepenthes Weedii". it'll grow on almost any conditions.

gus

As a beginner myself, I am supremely qualified to say what does well for a beginner
wink.gif
.  And I also vote for N. x Ventrata.  Plus, one of them is named N. x Ventrata 'Red'.  That's the one I have.  The pitchers turn a deep maroon sort of red when exposed to lots of sun outdoors.  Inside, in a sunny window, the new pitchers are more of a reddish olive.  But don't expect many or large pitchers with low humidity.  I also have a N. khasiana, N. maxima, N. sanguinea, and N. ventricosa, but only the N. khasiana and N. x. Ventrata have experienced my dry, indoor winter air.

don't forget those easy lowlanders :
gracilis ( grows tall and like a weed )
rafflesiana
truncata
x coccinea
x dyeriana

i'd say go with ventricosa or x ventrata , very easy otherwise x judith finn is good as a candidate

yep defenetly ventrata or ventricosa

I've noticed two extremes in which you guys keep your plants(or perhaps you are just pulling them out for display?). One if like a normal houseplant, or in a hangin basket(ehat pops inot mind is the large bicals topic). The other extreme is in a terrarium with misters fit over it.

Of the easier species, are their any more highly adorned species that stick out?

I'f much prefer the plant to pitcher, so does that mean protection of sort is required?

I viewed a couple sites....and rafflesania seems to stick out.

Go to neps around the house's site, neps around the house.
biggrin.gif
I think that may have something on where to grow them. Most neps need high humidity, though. (such as in a grow chamber, etc. People do use ultrasonic humidifiers, too.) I dont think a plant will pitcher in low humidity.

I agree with almost everyone else, try N. x Ventrata first.
It is easy to grow and pitchers profusely. The pitchers have a beautiful red appearance in bright sunlight.
a%20handful%20of%20pitchers,15%.jpg

I find N. rafflesiana is more choosy in its location and doesn't seem to pitcher as often, although 1 of my rafflesiana now has 4 pitchers.
Happy growing, Neil.

Not bad!

Do you have any photos of the pitcher mouth?

Here is my ventrata's mouth:

KIF_2346.sized.jpg

I also forgot to mention, that mine sometimes has "flares" in the peristome where it makes points. Lately it has been making pitchers more characteristic of ventricosa though.

How big do the plants get? Do they ever sport spots of any sort?

its too bad that ventrata and ventricosa get so wide, otherwise i would want one , too!

btw, i dont understand how those are "extremes" i mean, if one extreme is growing it as house plant, and the other is a terrarium/grow chamber, what else is there that wouldn't be an "extreme"?

Simple put, one way is quite basic....and the other is veryu extreme....however, you guys usually say that neps are best grown in enclosures.

So are the ones in the hanging baskets or pots just out for display?

Are the pitchers on ventrata or rafflesiana long lasting?

This is one of the larger pitchers that had been on my N. x ventrata. You can see some light spots on the upper portion of the trap.

N_ventrataUrn4-1-03SideNew.jpg

Back