What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definitions of descriptions

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I had been re-reading my copy of the "CP Bible" The Savage Garden and the phrase "strapped-shaped" as Peter D'Amato used kept jumping out at me. I couldn't help but wonder what this odd phrase meant, exactly?
For me, strapped is what happens when something is struck by a strap or is held down (in place) with one. It is a verb, denoting the action of the same, not an adjective. What does it mean when used together "hyphenated" with the word "shaped"; "strapped-shaped"? To me the hyphenated combination would mean, "shaped like being struck by a strap".
If anyone can provide any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.</span>

Hi Jo

The description comes from a strap or belt.
Strap leaf Vanda for example have long, thin, belt shaped leaves.
Hope that helps, Troy.

With my understanding of the English language, I would agree with you, Joseph.  It's not very clear.  I think he probably intended to mean how Troy deciphered it but D'Amato could have used better terms.  IMHO

Back