What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Fernando

No, I don't speak Portugese and you can tell I bet! Named as Drosera biflora, this is a very interesting little Sundew. Have you ever seen the like of this in your wanderings? The rosettes are very small: for scale, that is a standard squat clear plastic drink cup (whew! more desciptors there than in the plant). The plants are no doubt a little etiolated, but not much. Notable features are the short, densely glandular scapes with 3 or less flowers per scape, and the odd shaped seed pod (I don't know the term for such) Thanks in advance for your good opinion.

Drosera_biflora_in_flower_072303_1.sized.jpg

Drosera_biflora_uncertain_flower_008.sized.jpg

Drosera_biflora_in_flower_071503.sized.jpg

Can't see the leaves, can you get some shots? From the scapes and flowers, it looks like it could be D.brevifolia or something in the cayennensis-complex.

Fernando

Here you go!

Drosera_biflora_in_flower_062903_1.sized.jpg

I suppose I can see a lot of suggestions of D. brevifolia, especially in the scape although all in my experience have had white flowers. IS the pink form endemic to Brasil? This plant does not behave in cultivation like D. brevifolia, remaining in full active growth all year. I also see affinities to D. capillaris (in the petiole), but these seem not as evident as the suggestion of D. brevifolia. This is a real confusing plant! In size it compares to the D. biflora in your hand in the photo you took of the Amajarí plants. The seed pod sure looks like D. brevifolia I have seen as well, but the lamina less so: more like D. capillaris to my eye.

You know what? This plant does look a lot like D.brevifolia, maybe D.capillaris, BUT... I think it might be D.spatulata! Do you remember that "Borneo 8" or something like that? I think it was a tiny spatulata similar to your plant...

Fernando

Congratulations on this rare turn of events, Tamlin!
rock.gif
What a bummer!! Though really, if you like the plant, you like the plant. The name of a species too often tarnishes or flatters the appeal of the plant.... and this shouldn't be. I, for one, think it's a beauty anyway... though I would have to say that about just about any drosera
biggrin.gif

But yes... a dissapointment all the same.
sad.gif
Hope you end up with a true biflora some time!

I haven't grown the D. spatulata from Borneo, but this thought has crossed my mind too. The sepals of a couple of the pods are reflexed but otherwise the form seems very unlike D. spatulata: very glandular and short. Well, I haven't seen it all by a long shot so I'll keep an open mind.

Pinguiculaman might be able to post some seed photo of this since I lack the capability right now. I know I sent him a sample of this labeled as D. biflora(?). Joseph, care to try out that new digital scope of yours?
smile.gif

The scapes are very glandular, the dew visably apparent. That's why I can see the potential to have something to do with D. brevifolia. It's a lot smaller than D. brevifolia I have seen (Hampstead Co. NC, and Florida), the rosettes are about 3 cm max, and often much smaller when it is flowering. It's sort of a tropical pygmy.

Thanks for the input.

No, I have been at this too long to be able to feel simple passions, like disappointment, lol. Otherwise, I'd have hung it up long ago. Besides, I'll wait to see the seed testa before I jump off the cliff
laugh.gif

After pondering the matter, I think you are right! Sp. Borneo is described as having 1-3 flowers per short scape, and the scapes have retentive glands. Sounds like my plant.

Back