What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I purchased a "Sundew" from a nursery in September. It took awhile to track down which species and subspecies it is. It looks just like the green Ahipara specimen in Dawnstar website. Since it is a tissue culture does it know what season it is? Does it ever propagate via rhyzome? When can I expect flowers?

It is most easily propagated by leaf cuttings,to do this simply cut a leaf off,place it on the media(or in disstiled water) and secure at the petiole end with media,you should expect sprouts in 4-8 weeks. About flowering it should flower by next summer.

No,they dont have a rhizome!
And no they don`t go dorment! They are a subtropical species and therefore grow year round,though they may slow down a bit in winter.
Kindest regards,
Noah.

The Ahiapara form is a New Zealand alpine, and it does experience a sort of dormancy.  This is not a widely circulated form, and most D. spatulata are dormancy free.  If it has a white flower and glabarous scapes, it is likely a New Zealand form.

Plants flower usually within 2 seasons from seed. There is no seasonal flowering per se, but my plants make the most in the spring and summer months.

I propagate all my Drosera spatulata variaties from seed which is usually abundant.  Leaf cuttings also work well for all the forms.

P.S.  If you wish to be correct with your scientific names, note that only the first name (genus) is capitalized, and the genus should always accompany the species name even if only abbreviated: i.e. D. spatulata.  "Spatulata" with a capital is always incorrect.  Cheers, and thanks for giving me a chance to offer a little education to everyone.

Wow I didn`t know that about the new zealend forms! Thanks!
Oh and btw D.spatulata "kansai" aka d.tokaiensis Is a hybrid between d.rotundifolia and d.spatulata "kanto" and the non fertile plants are known as d. x tokaiensis!

Can D.tokaiensis cross with D.rotundifolia?
And can D.tokaiensis form hibernacula?
Thanks,
Noah

Noah,

Well, actually my D. tokaiensis did once form a sort of psuedohibernacula! They also slow down a lot in winter.
I believe the backcross would work with D. rotundifolia but it would take a 2n=20 D. spatulata type. Since theses forms are native to NZ where there is no D. rotundifolia, it would not be a natural example of introgression. I could be wrong. It would be an instructive experiment to make though!

Tamlin - Thanks for the reply and taxonomy refresher. I am very new to CP's and have been killing VFT's since my youth, through ignorance. I swore I'd never buy another one, but when Home depot had a batch of them - I just couldn't resist. But this time I was going to make sure I knew how to keep them alive for more than three months. That was in June. In September I bought a "clump" of the aforementioned sundew, but didn't know more than its genus name. So I went to the bookstores and the internet. A lot of them looked alike - to me - particularly the spatulat, rotundifolia, capillaris, and intermediata. It didn't help that I was looking in the book entitled, "Carnivorous Plants of North America" as well as mostly indistiguishable home photos of red sundews. Mine was all green. but, between your website and some fella that had several photos of the one he bought - I was reasonably convinced I had a spatulata, particularly the one sub-species. Anyways, it's / they are still alive and green, with a little bit of red, and dewy. I thought I had 10 or 12 plants, and decided to start separating them, I plucked the one by one from them perimeter an placed what I thought were four single plants into four individual containers. Surprisingly, they all lived. Upon closer inspection I noticed that I had 7 or 8 plants separated out. The original clump looks no smaller. I think they're growing and getting "elbow room." Well, that's why I asked about the rhyzomes. Is it possible that I had almost 20 plants in one 1.5" clump? I can see why you referred to them as "weeds" in something I read. What does glabarous mean? Also, the forum control panel informs me that I haven't chosen an avatar. What is that - please don't say it is the gal who plays the part of a spaceship in a Roddenberry program called Andromeda.

Your avatar is the pic of a cat to the left of your post.

jimscott,

Yeah, old spatty (hee hee, that should offend the real taxonomists out there, turnabout is fair play, right?) has a habit of clumping and forming new plants from the roots ( a rhizome is a different botanical structure). There may have been additional plants under the larger ones from seed as well that you gave a head start to when you divided them. I am not surprised they survived the transplant. I just grab the plant, pull it gently out, and stuff it into a new hole. They rarely complain over such treatment.

Glabarous is a term which means, smooth and without hairs or glands.

I am happy you gave CP another go. We can always use another CP addict, lol. Good growing to you, and I am at your service!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Dec. 19 2003,14:50)]Glabarous is a term which means, smooth and without hairs or glands.
Oh oh! Another fun snooty science word to use in everyday conversaion and confuse people, fun. (I had a professer this semester who use to do "snooty science word of the day; fancey words that mean the same thing as non-fancey words but sound cool" hee hee)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Glabarous is a term which means, smooth and without hairs or glands.
Actually to be truly snooty, one should spell and pronounce the term correctly: glabrous (gl!ÆbrÃs)

Thanks for the good snoot Bob, LOL, all we can do is trie!

Anyways, getting back to the other topic, it would appear that my assessment about rhyzomes was incorrect. So, what you are saying is that my plant has been propogating via its roots - I didn't notice it until several weeks later. I did notice a "baby" plant in the mix of one I had separated out, but didn't put one and one together. Cool! Glabrous - I'm going to see if I can use in a Scrabble game or crossword puzzle. You'd be surprised how many times it doesn't come up in (my) everyday conversation.

After my previous post I went back into the control panel and figured things out. Too bad there wasn't a sundew choice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (microphoneMark @ Dec. 19 2003,07:38)]Your avatar is the pic of a cat to the left of your post.
And the cats name is mabel,shes my sisters!

Mabel looks a lot like our family cat - Starlight. Maybe someone could contribute a sundew or butterwort?

Back