What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth a research Grant?

I am hoping to start doing summer research jobs and if I could come up with a good idea, I might be able to get a Prof. to back me up and get a research grant for studies I think up on my own
biggrin.gif
(I love Grand Valley). Anyhow, I've been reading Schnell's book and it sugest that very little is know about what pollinates north american sundews. My school happens to have special access to a very large bog researve with lots and lots of sundew and I thought maybe I could answer this question. But I don't know much about what it takes to get a grant or if anyone would even look twice at such a proposal, or even if it has been done since the second addition of Schnell's book. Any imput you have or other idea's on what we need to know about wild CP's would be greatly appreshiated. Thanks
smile.gif

To get a grant, you basically have to write a research paper. Basically, you are writing a paper to justify someone giving you money to do the research. This will include a background section, which summarizes all previous research in this area, which, in this case, should include similar studies on other flowers. Then there is a section detailing how you would conduct the experiment. Then a section which in essence justifies doing the experiment. The grant proposal should also include a budget, detailing how much money will go towards what, as well as a plan for dissemenating the information, where you'll publish the results, etc... At least that's what I can remember from one I wrote for a graduate level class a few years ago.

Basically, you can pretty much get any project funded. It, sadly, depends more on who you know, and how well you can write. Definitely discuss this further with your prof. If he/she's like most profs I've known, he/she will be glad to do anything that will toot their own horn without costing them much $$.

Back