What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you like Nepenthes,....

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin/ib312/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=9614
If you like nepenthes check out this thread in the nepenthes forum:- A taste of the Frederick Meijer gardens neps.
It really is quite spectacular.

How come we can't do something like this in Singapore?
Or perhaps we can!!!! Does anyone know of any contacts at the Botanical garden? A lowland nepenthes exhibit would be a tourist draw, I'm positive. Even if they combined it with the mist house in the orchid gardens,.... It is the perfect place for nepenthes with regular misting etc. We could all help out volunteering our knowledge and time etc,...
Just a wonderful but maybe crazy idea,...
Happy growing, Neil  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

I havent been to S'pore Botanical Gardens for many years, you mean they dont have any neps edemic to S'pore e.g rafflesiana, gracillis?

Beautiful. A Nepenthes garden is my lifelong ambition, though I've suffered a slight setback - the incredibly hot sun this past few days has managed to wilt some of my collection!
mad.gif

I agree with you Colin. A nepenthes garden would be a dream come true.
In fact I even sent an e-mail to the director of the Botanical gardens. He replied this morning.
He said, and I quote <<<"
Dear Neil,
We agree with your comments absolutely about the attractiveness of
pitcher plants.  We have got Nepenthes in our
minds for years now.  But we need to make a greater effort.
You will be please to know that the Cool House has just been opened.
You will be able to see some Nepenthes and a few other carnivorous plants
in there.
Thank you for your interest,
best regards
Chin See Chung

§ Director § Singapore Botanic Gardens § National Parks Board ">>>>>
Which I think you will all agree is a good start,....a visit is now in order.
Happy growing, Neil.  
biggrin.gif

Oh they've finally opened it, have they? I'll be there tomorrow.
laugh.gif

WOW! From the description, it sounds quite good.  I'll plan a visit one day next week.
From the website vistary provided:- <<<<<The Cool House encloses a montane tropical forest.
Trees and rocks are draped with a profusion of spectacular orchids and carnivorous plants.
The cool air, drifting mist and rushing torrent provide a highly realistic representation of high
elevation sites in the tropics and will make for an unforgettable experience.>>>>>
Sounds like it should be highland nepenthes,...
Happy growing, Neil

Hey! Any chance of asking the Director of SBG to setup a CP corner and than see whether some of us can volunteer and help maintain the plants. The herbarium at SBG is one of two CITES registered institution in Singapore and they probably can obtain CITES plants (like Nep. rajah) without major custom hassles. In this way, we can contribute and distribute correct horticultural knowledge and practices to interested people and spread the joy of growing CPs!
biggrin.gif

Dear all,
I'll reply to guqin and neil in vistary's topic, photos of SBG Cool House.

Guqin, in reply to your question,<<<Hey!  Any chance of asking the Director of SBG to setup a CP corner and than see whether some of us can volunteer and help maintain the plants. >>>>
Here is his reply which I recieved when I asked him the same question last week.
<<<<<I only wish we have the resources to develop and maintain a Nepenthes
corner in the Gardens
(outside the Cool House).  Presently we will be trying this within our
proposed Children's Garden to be developed with a large private
donation on a plot of land between the SMU driveway and our lake
at the Bukit Timah end of the Gardens.  For this we are propagating in the
laboratory,
from seeds, a number of Bornean Nepenthes as well.>>>>
Happy growing, Neil.

Back