What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This plant looks so yummy right now I had to share this photo.  I love all the Petiolaris species, but have a real soft spot for this plant.  For those interested in taxonomy, this species can be distinguished by the very fine dendritic hairs on the petiole, and for the insertion of the lamina to the petiole, which is slightly off center in this species.  It's pretty amazing that the lamina retain their active traps for so long, and this photo reveals the close similarities in form to the Australian pygmy Drosera species.  As the plants spiral downwards into dormancy, the petioles become progerssively shorter and shorter, much as with the pygmy species, until they form a tight center bud to survive through their dormancy.  The same process in the pygmy species results in gemmae formation: a different survival strategy.  HEre are two photos to illustrate the concept.

Drosera darwiniensis:

Drosera_darwiniensis_012104_1.sized.jpg

Drosera nitidula ssp. nitidula

Drosera_nitidula_ssp_nitidula_with_gemmae_122403_1.sized.jpg

Wow. Beautiful plant you got there, sir.
smile.gif
Looks like a bush.
Your plants are always spectacular.
biggrin.gif

Great work Tamlin. Could you let us know how do you grow the Petiolaris complex sundews?? I am very interested in mediums used and watering methods.

Regards,

Sebastian

Nice pics,William! I wonder if a cross between a pygmy and wooly dew would be possible......yes I know I'm a cross freak! Have you tried it?

Any Drosera cross is possible I suppose. Seed would likely to be defective.

I cultivate mine in a perlite/lfs mix with some laterite added in, and a good top dressing of laterite. Plants are on a long day photoperiod of 20h, 1/2 that time under a 1000 watt combination agrogrowMH/HPS system, and the other 1/2 under typical wide spectrum tubes set close to the plants. I grow them outdoors over the summer in a sealed terrarium left open just a crack. I water them infrequently, 1 x week or less.I think short day photoperiod results in a dormant prone plant, but have not done experiments. So far the 20h daylength supports growth vs dormancy.

WOW 20 hour days! Thats like an arctic summer day,1000 watts how do you get that hi wattage without roasting the plants?

The petiolaris collection sits about 3 feet from the HID lights in a position where mist from the ultrasonic humidifier can just reach into the open tank they are in. The mist prevents dessication, and they love the heat and bright light.

Ok wow 3 feet that must give you a rather large growing area! What is the price range on those fixtures?

I think I paid around 400.00 for the unit from Sunlight Supply, Inc. The light is sufficient to cover a 6 x 6 foot grow area and supports reasonably good growth even at the limits of its reach.

Back