What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Do Sarrs have the same or similar track record of struggle as do VFT's when it comes to flowering in captivity?

No, not really. They only make one bloom a year and are a bigger plant so I am sure that helps, plus their roots are less sensitive. Watch out though, some smell like cat urin.

My S.minor is sending up 4 ,although only 2 look like they will ever open:D

how do you pollinate the flowers of s. purpurea, and s. leucophllya? I have one s. purp flower open right now and of course, my savage garden book is on loan.

Oh, boy! One thing I learned a long time ago, never loan out your books, you may never see it again.

Larger sarracenia can grow numurous flowers - S. rubra often grows one per growth point, so you get plenty. Unlike VFTs, its no problem letting them flower.

To pollinate, take some pollen from one flower with a paintbrush and put some on the five bumps which are on the edges of the umbrella style on the second flower.

thanks for all the advice...I know, I lent the book out and needed it the next day...I do see the person at work reading it, so it isn't a big deal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Mar. 13 2004,11:59)]My S.minor is sending up 4 ,although only 2 look like they will ever open:D
;) sorry, I should have said one per growth point. I consider multipull growth points on sarr to be seporet plants because they function as such.

No probs Darcie
biggrin.gif

Actually mine have 2 per growth point! only one each are developing fully however!

Hey, mine is flowering as well! (And yes I heard about the cat urine legend), so I took caution in identifying the smell...actually I just happened to accidently smell it one day when I got to close while watering my sarracenia...Lucky for me!
tounge.gif

Jason

(Its a good thing I'm not alone...I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't have anyone to talk about on the subject...)
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Sarracenia flava is the one that mimics cat urine. My flava var. rugelii has two blooms per growth point, 8 in all, and all appear about to pop! I will be busy this flowering season as I have from all my sarrs right now 84 blooms. 90% of my collection is what you call locale specimens, the rest from UC Davis plant sales, and one rescue from Lowes. My lightly veined s. oreophila has 2 scapes, while my veinless green oreophila has none. This IS my favorite time of the year! There may be some seed this year to distribute to friends on the Terra Forums. PAK, I will give you and Snowy each s. alabamensis divisions with full seed caps this fall. This is the heavily aerolated form from Chilton County, Alabama, from around Thorsby.

Back