What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to VFT's

Hi everyone im new to VTF's and the forums and i would like to a buy a VFT. Which type would u recomend, the typical, dente, or green dragon?  Also could i leave my plant outside during the day while im and school for sunlight then bring it in and put it near my desk light and/or window? Thank you very much and any other info. u think may help me is welcome.  
laugh.gif

Welcome to the boards Oh Mighty New One...
I would suggest a dente or possably a low giant. I also recomend indirect sunlight (like, in the shade). But that's just me.

They are all nice but if you want some color I'd go for the Green Dragon. If you order from petflytrap.com your plant will come with growing instructions.
You can also read past posts on how to care for your venus flytrap. I wouldn't recommend moving it in and out daily but rather find a nice bright place it can get used to and be happy. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Hello there Rocker
smile.gif

Welcome to the forums and good plant choice! And don't worry too much about which type you get. It won't matter because pretty soon you'll find yourself with every variety available.
laugh.gif
It happens to us all...start with one plant...end up with 200.... The other name for this group is "CPs Anonymous".
biggrin.gif

I like the Green Dragon. Has nice color and is a robust grower. Exotic Gardens (petflytrap.com) does offer nice healthy plants that have been properly cared for...unlike the half dead things you might see at hardware stores.

Where do you live? That kinda helps in determining where to grow your plant. In most instances, outside works the best (more like its natural life cycle outdoors). You can just set it in the sun and let Mother Nature do her thing. She will sun it, warm it, water it and feed it for you. Of course you may have to assist with water (PURE water) if there isn't much rain; they need to stay wet all the time.

There is a lot of care information available here. You can do a search or read the pinned care sheets around. And you can always ask questions.
smile.gif

I say...the next plant....a sundew! (But I'm biased...)
wink.gif

Jon...you grow your flytraps in the shade??

Hope you get your new plant soon Rocker. You'll love it.

Suzanne/PAK

Actually, I grow my traps under atrificial light in a terrarium that simulates nature...so i guess yes and no...

If you are growing under artificial lights, that's definitely not shade.
smile.gif
Artificial lighting (fluorescent, not incandescent), if strong enough, is fine for VFTs. I just didn't want Rocker to get the impression flytraps will grow well in shade. They like a lot of light.

Hi,

VFTs pretty much grow the same. Just pick any of these varieties, if grown properly they'll look good. 1) full sun no shade (leave it outside) 2) water tray during summer 1/2 way up the pot is ok, reduce this to a couple to cm during winter. 3) Feed the traps with live insects, don't worry if the traps die, the new ones will be bigger and the plant will grow faster.

hey rocker,
personally, any of the 3 vft's that exotic gardens sells will be good. i started with the dente, then got the green dragon, and they are both awsome. in ohio (where i live), i leave my plants outside from late spring till the fall. i'll only bring them in if there is a severe storm coming through. the bigest thing to remember is vft's need pure water (distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis).

any more questions? just ask.

enjoy!

techno...

I'm actually using tap water for the vft. You can always test for the salinity of the water if you like. Sydney water is ok. Try the taste test, if water taste yuk - probably the plant wouldn't like it either. Furthermore if you're unsure about the pH of the peat moss, test it using Universal Indicator or litmus paper. I also water from the top from time to time to wash out possible conteminants (as opposed to only filling up the water tray). The conteminants may not be from the water - but also from the air, say hydrocarbons from cars, lawn mowing etc.

Back