What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcarata, N. merilliana,

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hi guys,
New plants! How are these plants to care for? Like pain in the *** or peice of cake. My N. trun. likes the area and these will be roommates. I really want a veitchii and a maxima. Maybe for my birthday.

Joe

Hi Joe,
N. Bicalcarata is a very easy grower in lowland conditions (high humidity, relatively warm). I don't have much experience with merilliana, but I think it does well in the same conditions.
Peter

O hmm I don't recall exactly your growing conditions. If we are talking heated terrarium then sure..Although N. bicalcarata will quickly outgrow just about any terrarium you put it in.

If we are talking out on a windowsill with no supplimental heat or humidity then I would not go with either. Normal room temperatures are too cold for N. bicalcarata (unless you happen to be in the lowlands of the tropics and don't have AC going). N. merrilliana is a pretty durable plant but won't pitcher well without high humidity.

Tony

Originally it was in a large terrarium but........
rock.gif
I could not for the life of me keep the plant from turning black, it didn't spread- it just turned up at every new leaf
rock.gif
So, after tiring of this "game" I just turned the whole room into a terrarium. Since I have a whole room for my plants, not a sunroom or anything like that though just a small bedroom (25'x15'). I keep it humidified and temps around 77deg.F. I just do the tray method under my light. It seems to love it. My truncata hasn't pitchered yet but
biggrin.gif
the new leaf is currently unrolling without the slightest sign of black, also the tendril tip is fuzzy brown-not black
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
YAY
tounge.gif

JOE

Hey Joe,
That's a little cool for a bical, though it should still grow, but probably not as quickly. As for a "humidified" room....Just how humidified?

Also, I'm not surprised your truncata didn't like a terrarium. Mine didn't either, and the rot actually killed it!
sad.gif
My bical and merri respond much better to the terrarium environment.

N. bicalcarata as stated before like its HOT and humid. N. merrilliana is very very picky about humidity and temperatures I have found. Need to be about 80-85F in the day and around 70-75F at night with humidity above 70% at all times.

I just thought I would say that my N. bical and N. merilliana are doing very well and adjusted without any visible stress signs.

Joe

Bicalcarata is very easy. Just keep it about 68* or higher at night and 72-95 day and lots of humidity and it will grow fine. And make sure it has a big pot.

Back