What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need opinion

I need to know which kind of flytrap is the one that sports the biggest traps and the one that is the easiest to grow out of the common, dente, and green dragon varieties.
thanks.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

I would definitly say the Dente, then Typical, then the Green Dragon which is a little harder to keep.

eh? Green Dragons are usually the best looking plants I see. Typicals are totally variable. Denta are easiest to grow in lower light, but won't get a big and bright as the Green Dragons.

I do not care for Green Dragon...maybe because I killed mine and thought it was a wimp. I like Dente and Common the best. Can not tell if they are the biggest but they do produce about 1 inch traps.

travis

the largest traps, in my experience, go typical, then dente, then GD.

As for easiest, well, the they're all about the same in my book.

Ya the red VFTs seem weaker than green VFT. However the GD is still a pretty vigorous red type as opposed to red dragons or the other red types.

I think Green Dragons are very robust plants. Mine (from Exotic Gardens) had very large traps.

The Red Dragon I've found to be weaker and harder to keep alive. Typicals... the traps can range in size. I have a photo on Patrick's CPGallery posted of a typical with traps as large as a 50-cent piece. (The photo has a 50-cent piece in it to show size). So even a typical can get quite large.

My "clumping cv." grows ! 1\4 inch traps.

I suppose !1/4 inch traps equal 1 1/4 inch traps?
smile.gif
lol

yeah that would be pretty small I guess, anyway I have a Clumping cv. (well several infact) anyway some are HUGE! Some are small, and some don't have any leafs at all! (I know I'm good)

Lol I guess I hit the shift key accidently Lol.

Mine had 1\4 inch traps when I got it from Copper last fall so I think it`s pretty big imagine how it will be this summer!?

CV---->cultivar

A clumping cultivar is a VFT that clumps even more than VFTs normally do. Clear as mud right?? To me, calling a VFT a clumping cultivar is pretty redundant.

smile.gif

BCK

Lol Steve.. and My "clumping" has yet to clump..  although I must say I am happy with how much its grown since I got mine from Copper last summer.  

Here are a couple pics of mine... enjoy
smile.gif

This was the day I got it....
cppics72703031.jpg

This was a few weeks later.. (thats a US dime in the pot)
cpsoct6020.jpg

And finally the same plant yesterday (4-05-04)
cpsapril504018.jpg

cpsapril504019.jpg

I love the red color this one is showing me right now...  definately more pronounced than with my typical form which grows right next to it...  Watch for more photos later this summer
biggrin.gif

Cheers
Steve

Oh yes.. and to get back on topic.. lol.. here is a pic of my Green Dragon to give you an idea how large those can get.. (bear in mind that these are the first pics of the growing season.. later in the summer all the traps will be even larger)

vftapril504001.jpg

Steve

Mine is yet to clump as well but I did notice leaf cuttings of this variety produce about a dozen plantlets each instead of the normal 1 or 2.

Btw nice pics bck! your "clumping cv." looks just like mine same redish brown color you ought to try the "typical" vfts pft sells there traps are blood red!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 08 2004,7:30)]Btw nice pics bck! your "clumping cv." looks just like mine same redish brown color you ought to try the "typical" vfts pft sells there traps are blood red!
Pond Boy, It's the other Steve (vft guy in SJ ) with the nice lookin' VFT's.  He got the green thumb, I got the rugged good looks.  I just can't seem to find them at the moment though.  I know they're around here some where.........

smile.gif

BCK

Back