What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy in va

Hi,

I just wanted to know what do you think is the best method or dormancy in N. VA or my climate zone.

Thanks

Welcome to TerraForums! I just checked your profile, as is my habit whenever someone new joins, and I noticed it reads VT, as opposed to VA. This can be significant in answering your question.
biggrin.gif

Sorry VA is Virginia of the United States of America. Cool cat.

Does that mean that you are from Vermont?

Cool, more Virginians.
biggrin.gif
PAK will come soon to begin your initiation....

As far as dormancy, fridge dormancy worked well for me this year (at least most of the plants surivived, so I consider it a success
smile.gif
). However, you may be able to get away with regular outdoor dormancy, as long as you protect the plants' roots.

So, Cynic81, what was your method of putting your plants in the refigerator? Did you take them bare root? Or what? Thanks for your help. Also, who is PAK and what is he doin? Im kinda new to forums.

PAK: A Rather Female CP'er out of Richmond. She's very sweet and is considered one of the "Wise village elders" of the PFT community.

Fridge Dormancy: Remove Plants from pots, leaving a bit of moss around the roots. Wrap roots in paper towels moistened with distilled water. Apply fungicide. Place plant in a plastic baggie. Place baggie in fridge. check periodically for mold. Keep in fridge from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day.

That about covers it. I have to ask: How new are you to CPing? Because there are some basic rules that MUST be followed:
1. NO TAP WATER. Water with distilled or RO (Reverse Osmosis) water.
2. Grow plants in a Sphagumn Moss/Sand or Perlite Mix. Regular potting soil WILL kill the plants.
3. When VFTs try to flower, it's generally considered good thing to cut it off before it can form seeds, as this tends to weaken the plant. Seeding is recommened only for the experienced or the adventurous.
4. NEVER allow the pot to Dry out. Water using the tray method (Place pot in a plastic tray and keep the tray about half full of distilled water).
5. NEVER Fertilize. EVER.

That should about cover the Five High Laws of CPing.
smile.gif

Thanks
smile.gif
I know all of that, it just the dormancy that kind of freaks me out. Im scared it would die.
sad.gif

I'm in Reading, PA, and the weather is coller than that of Virginia - but that much cooler. It would be too cold to leave a VFT outside for the winter unless it was mulched up. I bought a VFT last June. I placed it on an east facing window sill at the lab in which I work. It grew well for the duartion of the summer. As Summer turned to Fall, the photoperiod and temps lowered. Since the sill is not airtight, the sill temp also got colder. It was not unusual for it to be in the low 50's. In November I brought it home and placed in between the storm and inner kitchen window. The temps were still not cool enough, though, due to "greenhouse effect." So I moved it to the back, screened in porch, wher it was cooler, but still drawing heat from the back of the house. The there was the cold snap and the soil briefly froze. I then moved the plant to the refrigerator butter keeper, wher it stayed until February. Then I moved back to work, to a lab fridge, until it was mid-February. Then it was back to the cold, drafty window sill, wher it gradually warmed up and increased its light. And finally outside, where it rewarded me with 2 flower stalksw. Unfortunately, I moved it toa nother location outside, for the weekend - and it was reduced to nothing by a critter. Believe it or not, at no time did I have the plant covered by a lid or a baggie. And the key thing is to have its temps and light change gradually, according to the seasons.

You're Welcome!

Back