What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. murudensis shy to pitcher?

Hi
I have been growing my N. murudensis since last September and still no pitchers
sad.gif
It is a slow grower and there are a number of leaves with pitcher tips but no sign of any swelling yet. I keep it in my Highland house. I have noticed that all the Neps with extra long tendrils such as this species, seem to be more reluctant in pitchering. Anyone else found this?

cheers

bill

I will have to agree with you. My N. murudensis has been pitcherless since at least Sept. and maybe earlier. It grows fine but doesn't seem to wanna pitcher. My N. macfarlanei has long tendrils and pitchers easy enough but this little bugger is defying me!
mad.gif

At least it's healthy!

Has anybody tried making sure the tendrils rest on some surface? Another thread indicated N. sibuyanensis needed that to pitcher profusely. Maybe it's the same deal for this species.

Joe

for some reason the tendrils never drop on my N. murudensis. the N. sibuyanensis began to pitcher when it's tendrils decided to reach to the soil but this did not happen til I moved the plant from the intermediate to the highland terrraium. The highland terrarium is 65-68*F during the day and 40-50*F nights so the murudensis should be at least marginally happy as it's altitude is not all that extreme... Did you get yours from Wistuba as well?

N. murudensis pitchers on and off for me. Can't really say it is a matter of them not forming if they hang in the air but it does seem to like to hug the potting mix and bury the tendrils down in the mix when it hits the pot edge.

I have plenty of N. sibuyanensis with hanging pitchers. Glancing at them I would say they are smaller after extending a looooong way down under the benches, compared to pitchers formed on top of the neighboring plants/potting mix. But this would be far from a scientific determination.
Tony

After my last post I went to take some pics of my flowering N. fusca and I see there are the top two tendrils on my N. murudensis which have stayed furry and are begining to extend much longer than the others. It will be nice to finally see something!

There have been a few unseasonal heat waves of 90*F days which raises the terrarium temp to 75-80*F but then back down to cool days and nights a day or so later, maybe that helped trigger it? Or maybe the light replacement which is what I assume triggered the fusca to flower.

Back