What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fef thomson sand

Hey all singaporean cpers,
I just bought some sand from FEF Thomson, and I was wondering whether anyone has had any with this sand b4, becuz I'm I'm about to plant seeds of a rare genus, and I don't want any algae or other contaminants to mess up my mix. Do I have to cook it or anything? Yes I already washed the sand until my hands shine...the water is crytal clear - how many times do I have to wash it again? My bro tried a peat and sand mix without 'cooking' and ended up being indunated in algae. Its the peat that contains the algal spores, not the sand, right? I don't mind washing the peat, but I don't feel so good about washing the sand - its 2 bagfuls and I might feel a little retarded if I spent a whole day cooking sand.
smile_n_32.gif

I'm just hoping that any algal spores or whatever were washed away by the excessive cleaning I gave it...
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jason

And if you don't live in singapore also feel free to answer - I won't mind!
biggrin.gif

Darnit, I lost the first edition of my above post while cutting and pasting...
mad.gif
ten mins wasted, but on the other hand this one's a bit better...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason,

I would but it in a pan with some water and cook it. The real concentration you need to have will be on the peat you use with it. I would break up the peat in a bucket now, and cover it with pure water (rain). In a week, wring it out and put it in another bucket. Let it soak for a couple of hours in fresh water and then repeat. This will remove the mineral salts. I make up my pots all at the beginning of the season and I let the seasons rains leach through them. I use the oldest made up pots first, so I have a constant supply.

Then I would zap it in the microwve while it is still wet on high for 5-6 mins. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't dry out and burn down your house!.

This is my protocol for sowing sensitive and/or rare seed.

umm if u really want to make sure that your stuff isnt contaminated, then mix everything together first. then just Preasure cook it, and it will be sterile.
Best Wishes,
Hellz

Back