What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity/misting in glasshouse

Hey gang,

I’m after some feedback and ideas.

I’m setting up the humidity/misting system in my glasshouse (replacing the temporary spray and timer setup).  Having spoken to a local horticultural supplier today it looks like I have 2x options.

Something to keep in mind is that this glasshouse is for growing Nepenthes and is about 8.5 x 12.5ft.  There will be a few other CP’s but they are not the priority.

So here are the 2 options I am looking at SO FAR:

Option 1:

Is to use a balance arm (artificial leaf) switch with multiple misting jets mounted throughout the glasshouse.  Basically a couple mounted facing up just over each bench and a few pointing down mounted to the highest point of the roof.

Pros – Cheaper

Cons – Too much moisture in the plants???  No direct control of humidity.

Option 2:

Use a humidistat with a single misting nozzle mounted just in front of the circulation fan.  Humidity drops, jet sprays mist, fan distributes mist throughout glasshouse, humidity rises.  Note that this fan will run 24/7.

Pros – Direct control of humidity.  No/little moisture on leaves of Neps???

Cons – Expensive

So what do you think?  Any other pros and cons I’ve missed?

I’m inclined to go option 1 as the humidistat in option 2 adds a heck of a lot of $$$ for a good one, however, I am a little worried about moisture on the leaves of my Neps?  Is it so much of an issue?

Thanks,

Aaron.

I don't have a greenhouse or glasshouse, But would be careful of mold, algae and fungus growing on leaves if they are continuously wet however if given a chance to dry off between they should be fine, I think. When I say dry off humid still needs to be up.

Joe

Back