What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a nice gift in the mail today

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I got a unmarked package in the mail today. Only thing on the bog was a sticker saying "Living Organisms Hold at 55-70°F". No return address, only my mailing address and a zip code for Grand Rapids MI.

Since you never know what someone will send it the mail. I didn't open the box right away. I had to find out what state it came from and think about who it might have come from. You just never know. Since it did say "Living Organisms" I joked about what might be in it, wont go into details.

Anyway, I opened the box (a insulated shipping container) to find some paper damp paper towels. Digging down further, I came to a wrapped object that turned out to be a Nepenthes under a plastic saucer. Taking the plastic saucer off, I just staired for a few thinking "This isn't the plant I won in the NASC auction". Who sent me this, were did it come from, and I cannot believe that this plant is what it is. I just cannot believe it. This plant looked so familar. Just so so familar.

Well, I got online and posted in the mod forum about the plant. I posted there first because someone might know something about it. I didn't want to excite anyone without it actually being what I thought it was, and it turning out not to me. Or, I was just so stumped that I had to ask in secret first. Anyway...

I got a few replies, I got onto IM and asked a few questions. Posted a photo of the plant I thought it was (and I mean the exact plant, pot and all). Got a few more replies, still didn't know why it was sent to me, etc.

After a few hints, that I missed. I finally found the person that sent it to me, verified what plant it was... Got me excited again. And well, its not everyday that you find one of these on your front porch.

mysterynep1.jpg

Scroll down for the answer.

Nepenthes rajah.

Here is the plant I thought it was on first site:

N_rajah.jpg

Yes, its the exact same plant.

What? who was it? And is there a reason as to why you got the plant?

Karma ?

Joe

I got a Ceph in the mail today. It's my first Ceph. That got me pretty excited.

Congratualtions on your new plant Nick. It's a nice looking one. Maybe someday when my daughter leaves I can turn her room into a growroom where I can grow N. raja. Of course the boss would never let me do that to her sewing room.

Wow!!!! Nepenthes rajah! Enjoy the plant, you sure deserve it!

Hi nick,

Nice rajah. Lucky you.
smile.gif
 How old do you think the plant is? There's not that many rajahs for sale that size. Mine is not even half the size of that.

Christian

You are very lucky, Nick.

Congrats on your Rajah.

Selfless generocity lives! Now did that make you day, week or whole YEAR? That's awesome. Good luck with it, I hope you get one of those four liter pitchers!

Congrats Nick! I got my N.fusca sarawak from a trade with jeremiah today and so that got me in a good mood,it has a pitcher thats like 3in. tall!

I also got my order of waterlily seeds but they were a big disapointment I only got tropical day bloomer hybrid,and tropical night bloomer hybrid seeds. I had ordered tropical night bloomer hybrid,N.micrantha,N.lotus,N.imutiblis,N.violacea,and N.chrysantha:(

I was realylooking forward to those GIANT australian day bloomers:(

Hey BigCarnivourKid, maybe you should start growing that rajah now, because it won't be big until your daughter grows up!
laugh.gif

*giggles like a little school girl*   thats what you get for being so (pardon my use of slang) MONEY!  i cant wait to see when that thing gets huge!!! enjoy my friend!!!!

Douglas

I'm still confused.

who did this? And why? Awful generous!

Lets just say a good friend did something unexpected.

Maybe I can explain a little better.
Within the last year or so my wife has had a series of medical problems. I also had quite a few legal problems. With the doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, court appearances and missed work, last winter I was was not doing very well financially. One of the things I had to sacrifice was my membership to the ICPS. As a surprise Nick renewed my subscription for me.
I saw Nick drooling over this plant when we visited Meijers Gardens in January. I have been thinking of a way to repay him. I got the opportunity to buy the same N.rajah he drooled over, his drool is probably still in the soil.  
biggrin.gif

I knew this was the opportunity to say thanks to Nick. So I ordered the plant and had it shipped to Nick with no plant ID, return address, nothing. I wanted to see if Nick could figure it out. When he got the plant he started trying to find out who send it. I wasn't ready to fess up yet. So I dropped quite a few hints for him to figure out, (Maybe the plant followed him home,)(maybe somebody was repaying him for a good deed) ect, ect. Of course every hint flew right over his head. Finally I felt sorry for him and I let him off the hook.
Nick made the comment that I paid more for the plant then he did the membership, but I believe that whatever somebody does to or for you, you should at least return the gesture double. I saw a bumper sticker that said "I wish twice as much to you as you wish for me" and that is how I am. I'll do to you double whatever you did to me. Ask Spec, he knows that first hand, lol.

Nick you should be the one here that's being thanked. You're the one that helped me out and expected nothing in return. Thank you.

Ahhhh...does a body good to read things like this.
smile.gif
This is how it should be between people--being kind to one another. You never know when you do a good deed when it will be returned to you, whether by the same person or someone else.

You just can't beat good friends who care.
smile.gif

And congrats on that rajah...I hope it grows well for you.
biggrin.gif

Hey Ozzy, can I lend you 100 bucks??? LOL! Just kidding. That's very cool!

Capslock

Thanks a bunch Ozzy!

The first comments out of my mouth were on the lines of "Who sent me a Nepenthes rajah"? But on a bit more color in the wording.

I recognized the plant right off. I just couldn't believe it.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I spent a few hours trying to verify that it was indeed what I thought it was and also to find out who sent it. As Ozzy said, he tossed out a few hints. They all just flew right over me.

Back