What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing byblis seeds

Ok i just got byblis liniflora seeds and am wondering how to grow them and what to grow in?

Mine are in a big pot (1.5 quarts) with 2 parts sand and 1 part peat mixed in. I just put the seeds on the surface and let them outside. I water them either every day or every other day. It depends how hot is i.

I just mixed up a some peat and sand and placed them on the surface. Add water, cover, and wait. A week to 10 days later - they all sprouted. They were the easiest CP to sprout, even easier that pigmy dew gemmae and capensis.

cover? I thought you never cover CP seeds.

That's the way I have been instructed to germinate seeds - and it works. Ya cover them and keep them out of the bright light. Once germinated you slowly acclimate them to light and being uncovered.

well i planted them but they are really that easy to grow! that quick
smile_n_32.gif

See, I toad ya!
smile_m_32.gif

cover as in cover with a plastic dome or bag or something right? not cover as in burry the seeds.

Well mine haven't germinated yet. They aren't covered by anything. They are in full sun but the sun isn't so strong right now. It's REALLY humid today and rainy. Maybe I'll have some seedlings by tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Sep. 08 2004,4:06)]cover as in cover with a plastic dome or bag or something right? not cover as in burry the seeds.
Yes, that is what I meant by cover - definitely not bury them. I don't know how different Byblis are from let's say sundews, but all the suggestions I have read about germinating says to cover, moisten, keep them in an unlit place, and wait. Then slowly acclimate them to light and removing the cover.

Well, germination time also depends on how fresh the seeds are. It normally takes a couple of days to a few months to germinate seed depending on conditions. So, I wouldn't expect seedlings in less than five days...but it certainly would be a nice surprise!

I wouldn't expect that with any CPs.

Well actually guys there are certain species of Uricularia and/or Genlisea whose seed will germinate in a matter of hours after having come in contact with water. My U. reniformis giant had green cotyledons in 3 days. The seed were planted within seconds of harvesting.

Peace.

Phil

It took only a couple hours for seeds of U.nelumbifolia to germinate. I have recently germinated B.liniflora seeds in less than 2 weeks. These seeds were stored for a year at room temperature.

Back