What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. subulata

Hey -

I know that U. subulata is considered a weed, but I had to get some to grow in my bog since it's a native CP. I have a few questions about it, as I have little-to-no knowledge of Utricularia.

- Does its growth usually go in waves, and if so, are these usually at certain times of the year? I placed a few stalks in the bog in March and only recently have they come to life, expanding to an area of about 10 cm x 10 cm.

- How cold hardy is it? I live in zone 7b (5-10 degrees F).

- In March, the few stalks all had a flower or two, but now they form buds which never open. I have had one full flower this fall. I know some Utricularia form closed and open flowers...are the closed more common on U. subulata?

Of course, if you know anything else about the plant that I should know, please tell me.

Thanks.

- Patrick

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does its growth usually go in waves

I would say that this species grows continously in favorable conditions until it runs out of soil medium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How cold hardy is it?

My U. subulata that I grow outdoors survived lows down to 18F a few winters back.  It doesn't get much colder than this where I live...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]are the closed more common on U. subulata?

Oh yes, the closed are much, much more common BUT I find that change in conditions (whatever that may be, its different for every grower it seems) encourages actual flowering.

hope this helps,

Homer

If you really want your U. subulata to flower more I would suggest that each time it actually flowers, pull the flower scape out gently pulling with it some of the plant that produced it, then re plant it into a new pot and do not allow it to go to seed or any other U. subulata seeds to get into that pot... With time that plant will grow in the new pot and im my experience will flower more... I believe that certain U. subulata plants produce open flowers more than others and by selecting for the plants that flower you will see alot more flowers....

Before I lost all my plants
smile_h_32.gif
I had U. subulata flowering almost constantly for most of the year

Hope that helps

Hey,

Great idea! I will certainly try that. The idea makes sense, assuming that each individual plant will be more/less prone to flower.

- Patrick

Back