What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning nepenthes area

I keep seeing all the great photographs of Nepenthes and the tanks/greenhouses look so clean. What is the secret? Everywhere in my greenhouse it seems algae, ferns, mosses, and other green things crop up whenever the humidity is high. Do all of you scrub your benches, pots, and walls weekly? How do you do this once the vines get thick? Have any of you found a good way to clean the algae off "bubble wrap" that is used inside to insulate greenhouses? I assume most algacides will harm Nepenthes.

If i were you I'd just replace the bubble wrap. It's cheap enough. The only algaecide I know of is the kind that you use in pools and I REALLY don't think that would be safe.

Hmm, I don't know about greenhouses but algae is easily scraped off with an algae scraper (used for an aquarium). The scaper I use is about a 5" square pad. One side is rough like sandpaper and the other is sponge. If the stuff is being stubborn I use 1/2 vinegar to 1/2 water. The vingear might not be the best but it wrks without killing my plants and it's gotta be better than bleach!
I must admit though, my terrariums aren't as clean as the should be!
smile_m_32.gif

Try using Physan. It's a greenhouse disnfectant and is used for controlling algae growth. I have heard it is safe for most plants but have never used it on any myself. You should still exersize caution with any substance you use. If you can't find this then use plain old chlorox bleach and water. Works like a charm. I use this in my swamp cooler weekly and the tank and water is always crystal clear. Of course my primary concern is preventing Legion Aire disease (sic).

Phil

Back