What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelae looking a little grim

Well, I think I may have scortched my adelae....
confused.gif
  I figured they would like the sun that my venus fly traps had before I moved them outside to help induce dormancy.  Well, I left for a week, and when I came back they looked pretty sad.  Some leaves turning brown, and some of the new leaves don't look like they are going to open.  So.......I moved them back to where they looked happy!  They have been there for a week now, and they don't really look much better.  Do you guys think that they will recover?  I sure hope so.....they are some of my favorites.  I realize that I should have gradually moved them like slowly adjusting any plant to new conditions.....actually in this case I probably should have just left them alone.  But anyway......I guess I will just hope for the best.
smile.gif

- Joel

These plants like cool weather and filtered sun. It took me some time to figure out how to grow this plant. I think I've got it now.
Do not give up on the plant. I had a melt down with the first one I had after placing it in full sun. I cut the top of the plant off at the top of the soil and left the pot outside. After the weather got cooler, new plants started to grow from the roots. This plant does not need dormancy.
I then grew this plant in a terrarium. It grew great inside there until summer came. The leaves browned shortly after opening. Temps was in the mid 80's. I decided I could not do any worse with the plant so I moved it out of the terrarium and tried it as a windowsill plant. It has made a complete turn around with nice leaves with lots of dew on them. The house temp is on hot days mid 70's.

they don't need cool temperatures. my temps are in the high 80's and they grow fabulously.

They regenerate from the roots, so just keep the pot under your typical conditions and be patient.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I moved them back to their original positions, but with wintere here, the sun still hits them where it didn't in the summer. So, I taped a piece of paper to filter the light so they aren't getting a direct hit. We'll see how that goes! I'm glad they grow back from the roots. Thanks again.

Don't do like I did this summer. I followed Tamlin's advice - to a point. I wasn't patient enough. The leaves, no matter what I did (higher humidity, more light, less light, more air circulation, SuperThrive), remained brown. I checked the roots and they were still intact. I wasn't patient enough and tossed it. I think it was doing its infamous "'possum playing". Just wait it out. Nothing to lose.

Should I keep my D.adelae in my lowland tank or move it under lights(aclimitizeing in a plastic bag of course)? It was doing realy well under lights but then I read in TSG that they are tropical and moved tit to my lowland tank,and it now seems to be declining.

Thanks for any help,
Noah.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 10 2004,5:46)]It was doing realy well under lights but then I read in TSG that they are tropical and moved tit to my lowland tank,and it now seems to be declining.
Well, that's one that got past the filters lol
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I tried moving my D. adalae from one godd spot to another in an attempt to get it to form dew on it's leaves to no avail. I finally stuck it in a spot where it gets filtered sun, either through a screen or the leaves of other plants. It died down to a couple of small plants. I figured it was gone but as long as there were plants in the pot I watered it and otherwise ignored it. About four weeks later I noticed that not only had the little plants got bigger, they had dew on them! I decided that the trick was two fold.
First: Bright filtered sun and
Second: Leave them in the same spot so they can get used to it.

As you can see I have several Adelae growing outside with my VFTs. Even through 95+ day's the ones in this pot did exceptionately well. All my others bit the dust  
smile_h_32.gif
  The only thing different that I could detect was the pot is pure LFS top to bottom.Bottom left corner

ER.... RIGHT corner

Back